Chapter 9: Mark Goes To Work

(Mark's POV)

I woke up way too early, anticipating my first day on the job. I was feeling exhausted after my mental breakdown the night before and I hoped you couldn't see it in my face. Jack had to open the store that morning, so he was already gone by the time I went to the kitchen for breakfast. I wasted some time by watching cartoons before finally being able to leave. I shoved an ear bud in each ear, turned on some music, and began the trek to work. When I walked past the Apple Store, Jack ran out, tapping me on the shoulder. I pulled out the ear buds and smiled at him.

"You look so cute in your uniform." He whispered.

I puffed out my chest and turned my chin up, posing like a Victoria's Secret model. Jack giggled, hunching over and clutching his sides, gasping for air. I stopped posing.

"I have to get to work Jackie." I whined. He stopped laughing and took a deep breath. Their were tears running down his cheeks. I wiped them away with the bottom of my shirt.

"Ok, have a great first day. I will see you at home, yeah?"

"Of course." I winked at him and he turned red. I wanted to kiss him but we were afraid someone would see us and tell Nina. Jack jogged back in and I finished my walk to Game Hub. The bell on the door tinkled and I was blasted by the air conditioning. Ken was behind the counter, organizing the game drawers. He looked up and smiled.

"Welcome back Mark! Are you ready to get started?"

"I sure am!" He led me to the back room and helped me clock in.

"Olivia will be here soon and she will show you the ropes, but for now you can help me stock the new games. We get a shipment of new games on Monday nights and then we set them out on Tuesday before the store opens." So, we spent the next hour and a half setting out the new games and merchandise. Olivia came in shortly after.

"Hey Mark! Ready to learn something from a teenage girl?" she smiled a wide grin, her dark blue lips stretching across her face.

"Yes ma'am." she giggled and went to the back room to clock in.

"Mark, I am going to leave you in Olivia's hands. I have to drive over to another store and train the new manager. Olivia has my cell number if you have any issues."

"He's in good hands." Olivia assured him. He nodded and left, leaving us alone in the store.

"Okay, first things first, we need to turn on the TV's and consoles. Then you need to pick one of the new games and put it in." I nodded and got to work. We finished just in time for the store to open. Olivia showed me how to use the cash register, ring up customers, do returns, and sign them up for the reward program. At noon, she dropped a bomb.

"Mark, it's my lunch hour. Are you okay to work on your own?" she looked up at me with wide eyes.

"Um, I think so." she pulled out a piece of paper and scribbled on it. "Here is my cell number. If you need anything, call me. I will be down the street at the sandwich shop. When I get back, you can take your lunch."

"Awesome, you can count on me!" I assured her. She punched out and left, leaving me and the two customers alone.

~One hour later~

I was doing great without Olivia, but the store suddenly became slammed and I was relieved when she came back. I helped her thin out the crowd before ducking out for my lunch. I was looking forward to getting some sushi down the street and sitting in the park. I took out my phone and shot Jack a quick text.

M: Lunch time! When's your lunch?

J: 10 mins

M: I will get you some sushi and meet you at the park