Chapter 15: Fire Truck Red

(Mark's POV)

I am a fucking idiot. I let my temper get the best of me, and now Jack is gone, probably for good. I am such a fucking idiot. It repeated in my head over and over again, like a sick mantra. I didn't feel angry or sad, I felt numb; on autopilot. I would sleep, eat, sleep, go to work, and repeat. When I was awake, I found myself staring at photos of Jack and I on my phone, silently crying into my cereal. I never tried to contact him; after my harsh words, I'm pretty sure he hated me now. Hell, I hated myself.

Sweet Matt tried his hardest to get me to cheer up, and I love him for that, but this was something I was going to have to work out on my own.

About a week after Jack left, I was by another resident.

"Mark? I'm sorry to wake you but you have a visitor."

"Thanks" I grumbled and she left. I got up and adjusted myself, trying to make it look like I wasn't asleep at 3 pm. As I trudged down the stairs, my mind raced; who came to visit me? Was it Jack? When I made it to the living room, Felix was seated on the couch.

"Felix!" I sobbed, not realizing how much I missed my best friend. He turned towards me, instantly getting up and enveloping me in a hug. He rubbed my back as my body shook with sobs for the second time that day.

"I've missed you so much." I managed to choke out after I calmed a bit.

"I missed you too man. You're roommate texted me and said you were going through some shit."

Matt, bless that boy. "I am Felix, I really am."

"Well, go upstairs, shower and dress in something other than sweatpants because I have a couple surprises for you."

I did as I was told, taking much longer in the shower than I should, enjoying the heat. I dressed in jeans and my favorite shirt before joining Felix back downstairs.

"You look much better! Now let's go." I got into the passenger seat of Felix's car, bobbing my head along to the pop music playing throughout the car. I felt better being out and being with my best friend, like life resumed I suppose.

After driving out of the city and into the mountains, Felix pulled in front of a broken down old diner.

"What the hell are we doing here?"

"Don't judge a book by it's cover." We went inside, and I was dumbfounded. The inside of the diner was clean, colorful, and bustling with life.

"Hi there fellas! Table for two?" a bubbly waitress in a bright blue uniform greeted us, grabbing two menus.

"No thank you, we are meeting someone." Felix smiled at her and she grinned back before heading back behind the counter. We bobbed and weaved through tables and people, making our way out the back of the restaurant. There was seating outside, overlooking the mountains and the distant LA skyline.

"Wow, this place is amazing! How did you find this place?"

"Google" Felix shrugged.

"Mark?" a small, familiar voice called from the left of me. I turned that way, searching the crowd for a familiar face. When I found one, I ran to her, tears instantly falling down my face.

"Mom!" I hugged the small woman, holding her tightly as she stroked my hair, whispering like she did when I was a child.

"I'm here son, I'm here." She held me at arm's length, wiping the tears from my cheeks.

"I've missed you so much, mom. How did you get here?"

"Felix called me, told me you were sad, I took the next plane here."