Chapter Five

We follow the sound until it brings us to an ally way, there we see a child, maybe four or five years old, curled over a women's body. He or she hasn't seen us yet but it is no doubt that the child is alive, and crying, but I can't say the same for the women who is obviously dead.

"Excuse me?" I ask, "Are you okay?" The child hears us and hugs the dead women even tighter,

"Please don't hurt us!" the child cries, "Mommy's already hurt and she doesn't need to be hurt anymore!"

"Come with us and we can bring you to someplace safe," I say to the child.

"Can you help Mommy too?" The child turns around and it is unmistakably a little boy "Please help Mommy too!" he cries at Zoe and I.

"Yes, we can try to help your mommy too," Zoe says in a soft voice, "But right now we need you to come with us so that we aren't out in the open okay? What's your name?"

"Ben" he says. Zoe replies, "Okay Ben lets go."

. . .

Zoe and I carry the women while Ben walks behind us holding his mother's hand, thunder has started to rumble indicating that the storm is close by. It starts to rain as we enter the base and Ty runes to us giving me a confused look. "We found Ben and his mother in an ally all alone," I tell Ty and turn to Zoe, "Zoe please help Ty bring Ben's mother inside and I'll take care of Ben." Zoe nods and I give the women to Ty and they both carry the women inside. I take Ben's hand and we walk inside.

As I get Ben washed up and changed into new clothes I ask, "Ben, do you remember what happened and how your mother got hurt?"

Ben nods and responds in a quiet voice, "Me, Mommy, and Daddy, were in a house and I was pretending to be asleep and then I heard Daddy yelling at Mommy and he said 'how could you not tell me you got lit?''

I just had to interrupt, "Ben do you mean 'Bit?'"

"Yea! Anyway Daddy was being really loud so I got scared and covered my ears. When we were walking the day after that Daddy pulled out a gun and there was a loud bang and Mommy fell down, then Daddy ran away and I started crying because I was scared." He was completely oblivious to what was happening, and I will say that I almost cried.

Once Ben fell asleep a few hours later I went to see Ty and Zoe, I noticed quickly that they were not in the motel, so I went outside. The rain wasn't too bad so I was able to see Ty and Zoe easily, they were burring the body that now had a very big indent on her head, they had to or else she would come back as a walker and nobody would want that.

Ty spotted me quickly, "What were you thinking! You do know she is dead right!"

"Look, Zoe was the one who said that we would bring her with us!"

Lee don't you dare pin this on me!" Zoe shouted, "Besides, how was I supposed to say no! The kid was balling his eyes out!" We must have woken Al up with our shouting because he stormed outside.

Al is a pretty big guy, tough too, once the outbreak happened, his wife and son got infected, it must have been terrible for him, anyway he met up with Zoe and Ty who had were good friends before the outbreak so they were together when they met Al, and he didn't let the two out of his sight. I mean I don't blame him, who would want a defenseless twelve and fifteen year olds running around in the zombie apocalypse. Once my dad and I found them, Al and my Dad became inseparable.

"What do you kids think you're doing?" Then his face went pale as he saw the women, "My God, did you kill her!" We all shook our heads and I explained everything.

. . .

Al sighed "Where's the kid now?" Al asked.

"In room B3, sleeping" I told him.

"Okay then." He responded, and he went back inside.