Chapter Twelve

I'm just letting everyone know that I have changed the way the virus takes effect on the host. here it is: 

"It will only take three for the virus to kick in. It starts with nausea, nothing too serious, and then goes on to headaches, this happens because the virus starts to attack the brain, durring the fever, the patient will develop a fever that will eventually kill the patient. A few hours later the patient will reanimate and will pass the virus on by biting someone. When the virus infects enough people to get recognized and feared I will release the antidote, and I will be a hero, I will be famous."

Thank All again for reading my story. I am super sorry that I didn't update it in so long. I didn't feel like writing. :(

Here's chapter twelve:

I bring my hands up to my ears that now ring like the bell at my old school. It takes a second to go away. I raise my hands slowly and spin around so that I could see who killed the monster that now lay in its rusted cage dead. The first thing I see is not a face but the barrel of a silver gun, smoke slowly dancing out of it. The person then steps into the dim light of the small room. It's Zoe.

"Zo-" I don't have enough time to get her name out before she rushes for me and wraps my body in a tight embrace. After a few awkward seconds, she releases me, looks me in the eyes, and swiftly shoves me against the bars of the cage.

"What the hell is wrong with you!" she screams at me. I'm in shock, she never uses that kind of language, even if it isn't that bad. I don't notice it at first but I realize that there is a stream of tears running down her face. She moves towards me and a brace myself for another shove. It doesn't come, instead, she checks my body for any scratches or bites. Finding nothing, she turns and storms out of the small room. I follow her.

"Zoe! Wait, Zoe!" She goes through the doors and heads for the other set, "Zoey stop!" she goes through the other set of doors and heads for the stairs. "ZOEY" I shout. She stops and turns around quickly. Her face is bright red and still

"What do you want?"

"I want you to talk to me! What's wrong!"

"Do you even care? You could have just died for all I know, and you ask what's wrong with ME?"

"The thing was in a CAGE! There was no chance of me dying. I know what I'm doing, you didn't have to shoot it."

"Ya know what? Forget this, I'm going back to base." I swear I can almost see steam coming from her ears as she turns and walks up those stairs.

                                                                                                . . .

We walk back to the motel in silence, Zoe's face never changing that shade of red. I have my head down, looking at the grey of the road. I tried talking to her a few times. On my second attempt, she flipped me off, I stopped trying after that. We aren't walking side by side, shes a few steps in front of me when I tried catching up to her, she just walked faster.

We're nearing our last turn till we get home. Zoe gets to the corner before I do, "Oh my god," she says, It makes me look up just as I round the corner and our home comes into view.

The gate to our motel has been knocked down.

I barely get a glimpse of my father swinging an axe into a walkers head, before more block my view.

Zoe makes a break for the gate.