~Eight~

Not edited

The next day, Harry rode with me to Cyrene's. The air in the car was thick with apprehension from me and I guess from Harry too.

As Harry briefly tells me to turn down multiple roads and streets I've never even knew existed, I could detect the fear in his voice almost as clear as water. I want to feel bad about making him bring me to Cyrene, but then again, he wanted to prove to me that he was cursed. That Cyrene had caused him his grotesque looks.

My brain told me to stop the car- just turn around and go back home when we reached our destination. Of course, my fear being on its perk of making my heart slowly beat against my rib cage, I speak with a layer of shakiness covering my words.

"She lives here?" I ask, pulling into a long driveway that has a large metal double swing gate. Dead vines creep along and around the bars, twisting in a spiral manner in some parts like a snake. There are some plants that looked as if they tried to grow on the gate but failed and now look like minor deformed tumbleweeds stuck to the bottom of the gate.

The rough graveled road, that sets out beyond the barrier that the gate holds between my car and whatever the road leads to, is covered with fallen autumn leaves. The colors of yellow, orange, and rustic-red blending together in my vision, making the driveway look like a multicolored river of warm colors with patches of uncovered gravel in some spots.

"Pull up," Harry gestures and I do as I'm told, inching my car closer to the gate until I can go no further. I look out of my window, beside it, on the outside, is a code box connected to a pole that leads into the ground. My brows furrow and I turn to Harry.

"There's a code box." I say. He sighs deeply and stares ahead of us for a few contemplating seconds before turning to me.

"Try four, six, one, nine, three, two." He lists the numbers as if he's practiced saying them his whole life.

I roll down my window, reach my arm out, and punch the numbers into the pad of the machine. The box blinks green before making a loud short beep that made my ears ring.

I retract my arm back into the car and roll up my window with a huff.

"Yall are that close, huh? She gives you her password to the lock gate?" I ask and watch the large doors swing open at a slow pace.

"She never gave it to me." He shrugs. "I found it out myself." I wry smile forms on his lips and I nod along with him.

"Okay, then..." I mutter, stifling a laugh and driving through the gates and up the long driveway.

"Before we do this, can I tell you something?" He asks calmly.

"What is it?" I ask as I stare out through my windshield, the sight of a large two story house coming into view.

"We can go back if you want. Right now, I don't care, just let me know, because Cyrene-"

"I don't want to go back." I stop him from rambling on. "I want to know if she did this to you."

"I told you she did, why can't you believe me?" He asks annoyed.

"Harry I don't know you that well if you haven't noticed, and you telling me that you were cursed by a witch is hard to go with. I don't believe you, Harry, I really don't, I'll be honest with you on that. But if you can prove to me like you said you would, maybe you can show me that witches are real." I tell him with a quick side glance at him.

"I won't be able to prove it to you, but I'm sure Cyrene would love to." He said, the words, I'm sure, having a wicked meaning to them.

I park the car in front of the aged home and turned the engine off. The house looks old, but in a victorian way. Old, but yet beautiful. Multiple windows wrapped around the front side on the second story and half circle steps led to the front door. A large balcony hung over the first story of the house between two round towers giving an eccentric look to the dwelling.