Chapter 8

Beverly was always amazed by its nondescript appearance. Geo's was in a strip center and wasn't much to look at until you went in. The ceiling was an exposed structure painted flat black, making it invisible at night. Umbrellas advertising a tequila company hung from it while artificial palm trees reached up from the floor forming small canopies of green near the black void. Colored neon beer signs and multicolored Christmas tree lights provided most of the lighting.

She went in, quickly looked around and almost didn't recognize Dan with clothes on. He had changed into a tropical shirt with flowers, parrots and palm trees all over it. It was parrot red with touches of yellow, orange and various shades of green. He definitely stood out in the crowd as he caught her eye and motioned her over to his table near the bar, standing up as she approached.

"Welcome to Geo's, Beverly, I'm really glad you could come," he said as he took her hand and helped her with a chair. "I don't have that margarita waiting for you like I promised. I wasn't exactly sure when you'd be here and didn't want it to melt."

"Thanks, Dan. It was hard to get away from the crowd on the pier, but the thought of one of these margaritas after a day like I've had definitely spurred me on."

"Well... I'm sorry it was only the thought of the margarita that got you here," Dan said, grinning.

His grin was returned as Beverly sat down and said, "Maybe it wasn't just the margarita I was interested in... they have great Tex-Mex here too, you know." If you only knew just how interested I AM getting, she thought, you might just take me home right now.

Geo's was always packed on Friday nights and she was glad he was able to hang on to a table for them. It was close to the TV mounted overhead and he had been watching a soccer game.

Eager to break the ice and start some small talk, Beverly said, "I've noticed since I've been coming here that all the TV's are on Spanish language channels. See, the soccer game you're watching, and that one over there has some sort of Mexican sitcom going."

"That's the way it's been since I started coming here almost two years ago," Dan said. "The ownership and all the employees here are Hispanic and they watch a lot of television between customers. Since they're usually on sports channels, mostly soccer, I guess it doesn't really matter what the language is. Other than that, how do you like the place?"

"I love it," Beverly said, raising her voice to be heard over the noise of the growing crowd. "I'm here at least twice a week and have the weight gain to prove it! I'd be shocked if we haven't been here at the same time at one point or the other."

Actually, she knew they couldn't have been here at the same time; she would surely have noticed the blond hair and those incredible blue eyes.

"I eat here a lot, but I'm away a good bit of the time, also. That's probably why we haven't run into each other before now. My boss puts a lot of money into his boats and wants to get his money's worth out of them. They're both retired and millionaires, so they aren't tied to a schedule. In fact, that's about the only downside to my job. I have to be ready to go when they are, and keep the boats up in between. By the way, I can't help but notice that your accent definitely isn't Texan. Where are you from, little lady?" Dan asked, smiling, as he slid his chair a little closer, presumably to be able to hear her better.

"The frozen north, Minnesota, and glad to be in Texas," thinking, I'm especially glad to be here looking into those gorgeous blue eyes. "You know the old saying, 'I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could'."

"I can't argue with that," Dan said, "but why Texas? You could have a boat anywhere on the gulf, or the East or West coast for that matter."

"Well, the weather is a definite plus and I had to be somewhere I could have a boat to live on, that's for sure, but there was a psychiatric residency program that accepted me here so the decision was made. It was Texas," she said, and gave him a big smile that made those blue eyes open wide. Beverly almost lost her balance and fell in.