Chapter 12

"Max? Hello Max, this is Beverly."

"Beverly? Beverly who?"

"Beverly Anderson, Max. Beverly from the clinic."

"It's Saturday, Beverly, I didn't expect to be hearing from you today. What in the world's going on?" Max asked, obviously taken back hearing her voice at such a strange time.

"Yes, I know its Saturday, Max, but I... actually we, have a crisis. It's about that situation yesterday with the mother and daughter I saw late in the afternoon. The one I had to take the extra time for."

"Yeah, tell me about it! You must've really pissed that woman off, Beverly. She ran off three elderly clients in the reception area when she charged through. Good Lord! She practically knocked them down and scared them half to death in the process!"

"I know she scared some clients away, Max, she's scaring me too. I found out that she's sort of 'married to the mob,' Max, and I'm afraid for my life."

"What do you know that they would care anything about?"

"I know a lot of things that could give them serious problems, Max, much of which I've already reported to CPS. What CPS doesn't know yet, and I have to call and tell them as soon as we're through, is that Barbie is running away and taking my patient with her."

"I can't wait to ask, Beverly... how in the world would you know that?"

"Because they took their bags to a mega yacht at the Galveston yacht basin, and it could leave at any minute. Her husband runs the Bouncing Buns Gentleman's Club and everyone I've talked to seems to know it's a mob joint. Anyway, I'm afraid they'll be looking for me and I don't think it's safe for me to show up for work until this is resolved."

"Damn! I know I don't have to tell you that at a patient every fifteen minutes, we're going to have to reschedule a shit-pot load of people because everyone else is booked up solid and there isn't anyone to cover for you. Are you absolutely sure about all this, Beverly?" Max asked.

"Yes, Max, I know how many patients will have to be rescheduled. What else can we do? Anyway, I have that call to CPS to make so I have to go now. I'll stay in touch. Goodbye, Max. Wish me luck."

"Yeah, good luck. You should be wishing ME luck. There will be hell to pay at the clinic. I don't have a clue what we're going to do with all those patients!"

With that, Max abruptly hung up without saying anything else.

"He was certainly less than thrilled," she said as she hung up, "and his concern for me was less than touching. It seemed like he could care less about my safety and was just worried about what he would do with the patients I won't be able to see."

"Quite frankly," Dan said, "I think he's way down on the list of what we, and especially you, have to worry about right now. I'd forget him, if I were you."

"You're right. I have to stay focused and get that call made to CPS before they take off with Dana."

Beverly leaned her head back and shut her eyes. It seemed like a week since she'd been in bed. In spite of her exhaustion, she forced herself to make the call.

"Hello, this is Child Protective Services. How can I help you?"

"Hello...yes. This is Doctor Beverly Anderson from the mental health clinic. I called to report the abuse and neglect of a patient of mine late Friday. A girl named Dana Martin."

"I have the file. Mother's name is...Barbie? Is that correct?" She asked.

"Yes, that's the one," Beverly said. "Has there been any movement on that investigation?"