Chapter 9

She simply said "Hi," as she walked up behind the now somewhat tipsy Captain Dan. The Gold's were definitely hitting their mark.

Dan made an awkward turn and found a stranger. Before him stood a heavily made up brunette, dressed like she may have just come from one of the local bars. Somewhat taken back, he said, "Beverly? Is that you? I would've never recognized you if I hadn't known you were coming back!"

"Good. I can't let anyone recognize me over there. Are you ready to go?" Beverly wanted to move quickly, before either one of them had a chance to change their minds.

"I don't think anyone could recognize you now," he said. "Let's go for it."

With Dan giving directions, the drive to the buns didn't take long, perhaps fifteen minutes. It was located off Interstate 45 in a stand alone, two story, gray, stucco building with an overhanging roof and pillars over the drive up entrance for a valet service. Tall palm trees stood on both sides of the drive. Beverly's first impression was that it appeared to have jumped from an old TV show about vice in Miami.

The exterior was without windows and reflected a purple-lavender glow from all the ground-level accent lights aimed up at it. She had seen the sign from some distance; it was mounted on top of the building and was awash with lavender neon announcing the "Bouncing Buns Gentleman's Club."

It was a weekend night, so the parking lot was almost full. Beverly felt a little more at ease now, assuming that with so many people in the club her chances of being discovered were lessened. Overall, the place presented a rather classy exterior for a strip joint, which belied what she had been told was going on inside. From the looks of the vehicles scattered around the lot, the club's clientele weren't exactly paupers, either. She spotted a brown Bentley sport coupe and a powder puff blue Lamborghini in reserved valet parking.

That one must belong to either a girl or an ambulance chaser, she thought with a giggle.

Beverly found a space in general parking, some distance from the Lamborghini and parked the Z4. She didn't want to have to wait on the valet service if they needed to leave in a hurry. As they headed for the door, she was grateful she felt a little less tipsy than she had before she left Geo's.

It must be a combination of excitement and anxiety sobering me up, Beverly reasoned.

"I hope my boss isn't here tonight," Dan said as they got closer. "The Mrs. isn't always in town and it would be really awkward to run into him with someone else since I have to socialize with him and his wife both. He's something of a regular, that's how I know what I do about this place. I'm pretty sure he always uses the valet service and his car isn't there."

"Good evening, folks. Do you have reservations?" The doorman asked as they approached.

Reservations and valet service for a strip joint? You've got to be kidding, Beverly thought.

"Uh... no," Dan said, caught off guard. That was one piece of information his boss had not shared. "We didn't know we needed them here. Do you happen to have any open tables tonight?"

"No sweat, buddy. As it turns out we had a cancellation, and it's actually one of our nicer table locations. You got lucky. Our headliner, Miss Barbie, is doing the buns bounce tonight. It won't be long before she's on."

"Buns bounce?" Dan asked. "What's that?" He had already heard a little about it from his boss, but hadn't seen it himself.

"It's the signature dance for this place, what the joint was named after. There's no way to do it justice trying to describe it. You'll just have to wait and see for yourself. Believe me, it's something else!"