Chapter 23

"DAMN!" The Ensign said to himself in anger and frustration, knowing their situation had become critical.

"We have to go back the way we came and find another way out of here, and fast!" Shouted the Ensign over the roar of rushing water. "Dana, there are at least three hatches near the front of the boat. The ones my men would have used when they came in. Do you know if there are anymore?" He asked, wishing they hadn't had to blow the hatches off.

The Ensign knew at least two of them would be letting water flow in like small rivers, given the way the boat was now listing. The third opened into an area on the starboard side a level above them and was inaccessible from their current location. He had seen these hatches as he initially planned the operation, but hadn't worried about the possibility of there being other hatches because he only had three men to assign to them.

Could there be more? He hoped, surely on a boat this large there were. Their lives would depend on it.

"I've seen people come down here and not come back the same way," Dana said, fighting tears, "but I don't know where they went."

"There must be another hatch down here somewhere, and it would be at the forward end of the hall from where we are. Dana, look in that room at the end of the hall; doc, you look in the room Dana was in. I'll take the one next to the end on this side. All those on the other side of the hall will be under water by now. Look for that hatch as if our lives depend on it, because they do! HURRY!" The Ensign said, almost in panic himself.

Each of them struggled against the rising water, searching their respective areas for a hatch that would take them to safety. Beverly went into the room Dana had been in and was amazed at what she saw. The room appeared to be a fully equipped movie studio with high tech cameras, specialized lighting, compact stage sets, and a rack of costumes.

"My God," she thought as she saw a large collection of what appeared to be DVDs stored on one wall, and a gallery of portraits of what she presumed were actors and actresses, that included Barbie and Dana on the other. They were all nude, causing Beverly to wish she had the time and a way to document all that she saw. She would like to have explored the room further, but there was just no time.

"No hatch or exit from the studio," Beverly yelled as she quickly began to fight the water to get out of the room and join the others. She was just entering the hallway when she heard Dana yell.

"Hurry, in here. I've found something. Please hurry, the water's getting very high!" Dana said, now very frightened.

Beverly and the Ensign struggled to the end room to find Dana pointing up at a large hatch at the forward end of the ceiling. The room appeared to be for storage, given the odds and ends now floating about. It was very small compared to everything else they'd seen and situated in the forward most part of the bow, likely adjacent to the anchor chain locker. Looking up at the hatch, the Ensign could see it was designed like the rest, to open to the outside, and that it had not been damaged.

"Like most, this hatch opens to the outside," he said. "Since the boat shifted to its side, the hatch may well be under water. If it isn't, we're home free. If it is, we'll know as soon as I crack it open. It'll be hard for me to push up, and water will flood in. Let's hope that's not the case, because plan B isn't quite as straight forward as simply crawling out of here! Feel around underwater. We have to find something to stand on," he said, knowing their situation was now desperate.

Off in one corner, they found a narrow but seemingly sturdy rack, about five feet long. It was barely wide enough for the Ensign but, soon, they would all have to crowd onto it. Once the rack was positioned directly below, the Ensign climbed up and loosened the two keepers holding the hatch in a sealed position. Holding his breath for good luck, he pushed up. The hatch didn't budge. He pushed harder on a second try and it opened slightly, releasing a gush of water that quickly forced the hatch shut again.