Chapter 20

The cutter was enormous in size compared to the fishing yacht Beverly and Tom just left and it was its sheer size that seemed to reduce the impact the ocean waves had on them when in the smaller boat. It didn't take long to see why the patrol boats were necessary for this operation. The cutter would be essentially useless for chasing a boat like the Azimut given its great advantage in speed and maneuverability.

Beverly and Tom had just gotten their foul weather gear off when a seaman approached them.

"Ma'am, sir, Lieutenant Murrain would like you to join him on the bridge."

"Thank you," Tom said, "please lead the way."

Having previously been on a WWII destroyer, the U.S.S. Kidd on display at Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Beverly knew something of what to expect on a warship. Although not nearly as large as the destroyer, the cutter was still a relatively big ship and reminded Beverly of the Kidd as they negotiated the stairs and passageways leading to the bridge.

"Welcome aboard," Lieutenant Murrain said as they came in. He had just taken his eyes off the radar screen he had been monitoring. "I've been watching the progress of your friends as they head back to Galveston. They're making good headway now that the sea conditions have improved. I'm glad our seamen will be in the hospital sooner than we could have made it happen without their help."

"The other two blips you see are the Azimut and our patrol boat which is staying close by. The ranging function on the radar indicates them to be about four miles north of here. It's interesting that they've slowed down again. At this rate, we'll catch back up with them pretty soon. Apparently, they've chosen to hug the coast rather than take an escape route that would lead out to sea and into international waters."

"I don't understand why they haven't tried to escape out to sea, Lieutenant. They must know they can't get away by hugging the shoreline, or coming back in anywhere. You guys would be there waiting for them." Beverly said as more of a question than a statement.

"That's what makes this interesting," Lieutenant Murrain responded. "It means one or two things, one of which we know for sure: either they don't have the fuel to try and run, or they may be taking on water as is the case. Of course, it could be both."

An expression of sudden realization flashed across Beverly's face. "Do you mean they might actually sink, Lieutenant?"

"Absolutely. Remember when they made their run, and we were pretty sure they damaged their boat as they crashed into the heavy aluminum hull of our patrol boat? We'll, I've been in constant contact with our people in the patrol boat tailing them and there's no doubt about that now."

"What's happened to make them so sure of it?" Tom asked.

"They're reporting that the waterline on the Azimut is coming farther up on the hull all the time. Those operating it must realize their bilge pumps won't hold up forever and they don't want to get too far from shore."

"I can imagine they're in contact with their people ashore and hope to get the cavalry out to help them fight us off," Tom stated.

"No doubt, but it would take improved weather conditions to allow for that; the very thing that will enable us to free up more of our assets. All in all, it's looking very grim for them."

"I can relate to changing waterlines, Lieutenant," Beverly said. "They tried to sink my boat. That's how we lost Dan, a friend of the couple transporting your men to the hospital, and the reason they got involved in all this."