PROLOGUE

A small boy was crouching by the vending machine for a while now. His head was hidden in between his knees while his small arms embrace his legs.

“Curse this height.” He cussed under his breath.

A tap on his shoulder made him raise his head. A frown formed on his cute face when he saw a chubby cheeked boy crouching beside him. The face of the older boy shows uncertainty.

“What?!” the small boy asked annoyed at the sight of the older boy.

“Hey! I mean no harm.” The chubby cheeked boy said as he raises both of his hands in the air in surrender.

“What do you want?” the younger boy asked as he hid his face in between his knees again.

“A – anoo… I just wanna give you this.” The older boy said as he stretched out his arm towards the small boy after getting something from his pocket.

The squirrel ignored the chubby cheeked boy. Seeing this, the older boy poked his head several times to gain the younger boy’s attention. This made the smaller boy snap his head up and shot the chubby cheeked boy a glare.

“Don’t mess up with me buta.” The small boy hissed, really pissed off.

“Hey! I’m not fat. And I said I just want to give you this.” The chubby cheeked boy protested. He opened his hand and a piece of candy was on his palm.

The small boy looked at the candy with furrowed eyebrows then looked at the chubby cheeked boy. The older boy was looking away while puffing his chubby cheeks.

“Are you making fun of me?” the younger boy asked eyeing the candy on the latter’s hand.

“No.” The chubby cheeked boy said.

“So what’s that?” the small boy asked still not sure if he would be accepting the offered candy.

“A candy.” The chubby cheeked boy stated as he waited for the younger to claim the candy.

“I know. I’m not stupid. I mean what that is for?” the smaller boy was confused to what the latter was saying.

“An apology.” The older boy stated looking at the younger boy with sincere eyes.

Flashback:

The small boy was happily skipping towards the vending machine to buy his favorite vanilla juice. As he approached the vending machine, he fished his pocket for coins. He smiled as he eyed his favorite drink. He placed the coins at the slot and reached out at the top right corner of the machine where his favorite drink’s button was placed. He desperately reached out as he tiptoed. It was one of the instances that he blames his height because he was too short for everything. He didn’t want to give up as he stretched out his arms when a shadow hovered over him.

A sound made by the vending machine caught him by surprise and the next thing he knew a box of milk was shoved onto him. He looked at the box then looked at whoever was giving it to him. He saw a boy not taller than him with chubby cheeks and brown hair.

“What’s that?” the small boy asked with raised eyebrows.

“Your drink deshou?” the chubby cheeked boy offered.

“That’s not what I want.” The small boy said with a frown.

“Ehhh? But I thought you need milk chibi.” The chubby cheeked boy said with a surprised look on his face.

“Oi! I’m not short. buta. Look who’s talking.” The small boy retorted back as he glared at the older boy in front of him.

“Hey! I’m not fat. And I’m taller than you.” The chubby cheeked boy argued back.

“Whatever. I don’t want that milk. You should pay me back for my juice.” The small boy said as he crossed his arms across his chest.

“Why should I pay you? I didn’t drink your milk or whatever. You need milk to grow taller and reach that button.” The chubby cheeked boy reasoned out as he pointed at the topmost of the vending machine.

The chubby cheeked boy crossed his arms across his chest and looked at the other direction as he saw his tall friends waiting for him.

“Whatever. At first I thought you were a very cute girl so I wanted to help you but I was wrong. You’re very annoying and it’s not cute.” The chubby cheeked boy said arrogantly.

BAM!!!

The chubby cheeked boy was on the ground groaning in pain. The small boy was really pissed off that he pushed the other boy hard.

“Ittai!!” the older boy groan as he massaged his aching bum. “Oi! Chibi, what’s your problem?” he shouted angrily.

“Don’t make fun of me buta. First you called me short then you call me a girl. I hate you.” The chibi yelled back as he tried to hold back the tears that pricked his eyes.

End of Flashback

“Apology for what?” the small boy asked doubtfully.

“For your juice. Sorry but I don’t have money with me right now.” The chubby cheeked boy said looking at the smaller boy.

“And…” the smaller boy trailed off expecting a continuation on the older boy’s statement.

The older boy looked at the younger whose looking at him expectantly. He heaved a sigh. “And I’m sorry for calling you a girl and short… though you really looked like one.” He mumbled the last part.

“What?” the smaller boy asked as he didn’t caught the last words the older said.

“Gomen ne. I - I didn’t mean to hurt you so please don’t cry anymore.” He said looking at the small boy with a faint smile.

The younger boy looked at the chubby cheeked boy searching for sincerity in his words. “Really?” he asked doubtfully.

“Hai. Hontou ni. So please don’t cry.” The chubby cheeked boy said with a big grin on his face.

“Hmmm… Okay. Arigatou~” The small boy smiled brightly as he reached out and took the candy

“Yatta!!” the older boy cheered as he hoisted the crouching boy to stand.

The squirrel gave the older boy one of his greatest smiles. The chubby cheeked boy stared at the younger boy for a few seconds before replying with his bright smile.

“Kawaii ne~” the chubby cheeked boy said while pinching the little squirrel’s cheeks. “Can you be my pet?” he suddenly said.

“Eh?!” was the only response the little squirrel could muster up.