CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Rain was pouring hard then was followed by a clash of lightning and a roar of thunder. Classes have ended and students have already gone home. Some clubs had cancelled their afterschool activities so that they would not caught up with the storm that was said coming.

A chubby cheeked boy was patrolling around the school building to check for students who stayed at school. He walked along the deserted corridors of the school building checking each room for signs of other students. He just finished his rounds when he decided to go home as well.

Yamada entered the classroom to grab his things when he noticed a bag on one of the desks. There were also unpacked books and school things that were messily scattered on the desk.

‘Who would have left it there like that?’ he thought.

He approached the desk and realized that it was Chinen’s desk. The chubby cheeked boy furrowed his eyebrows as he picked up a notebook lying on the floor and flip a few pages. He recognizes the squirrel’s handwriting. He looked around to see if there were signs of the younger boy but he was alone. Why would Chinen leave his things behind messily?

A flashed of lightning and a roar of thunder echoed outside. A sob. He heard a faint sob from inside the room. Yamada looked around to search for the source but still there were no sign of another person inside the room. He shrugged his shoulder and thought that he might be hearing things because of the loud thunder. He shoved everything inside Chinen’s bag and decided to find the younger boy. He also plans to scold the boy for leaving his things unattended.

As he made his way towards his desk, another set of thunder and lightning echoed. Another sob then a muffled voice was heard. It was clear enough for the chubby cheeked boy to hear despite the roaring thunder outside. He was now sure that he is not imagining things. There is indeed someone else inside the room. It was like a scene in a horror movie wherein something scary would jump onto him and scare him to death. He was frightened beyond imagination. He gulped.

As the low muffled voice continued on chanting incoherent words, Yamada followed its source. He ended up in front of the broom closet at the corner of the room. He furrowed his brows. Who would hide inside a broom closet?

Heaving a long breath, the chubby cheeked boy cautiously opened the door of the closet. When he did, another flash of lightning and clap of thunder conquered the raining sky. He was surprise to find a small figure sitting inside helplessly. The latter had his legs bent close to his chest, his head was half way buried against his knees, his small trembling hands covers both of his ears, his eyes tightly shut, tears fell on his chiseled cheeks and a low muffled chant that were saying, “Yuri is not scared. Yuri is strong.” Over and over again. The little squirrel’s voice was cracked from crying.

Seeing the younger boy in that state unconsciously broke the chubby cheeked boy’s heart. The small boy looked vulnerable and fragile. He wanted to put his arms around that trembling form and whisper words of comfort.

Another thunder and lightning lit the room. The small boy jumped a little and chanted louder convincing himself with words of comfort.

The chubby cheeked boy crouched down in front of the little squirrel. He gently placed his hand on top of the younger boy’s head. The younger boy tensed up a little on his touch but eventually relaxed. The younger boy sniffed and hesitantly raised his head from his knees. He slowly opened his eyes and was welcomed with two warm dark hues staring at him with concern and comfort.

The older boy could see the younger boy’s eyes were all red and puffy from crying. His eyes were glistening with tears. Those dark orbs looked at him expectantly as if he was waiting for someone to save him from his fear. The chubby cheeked boy felt a sting in his heart. The little squirrel looked at him a bit more before recognition flooded his eyes. The older boy smiled at the chibi warmly as he caressed those tear stained cheeks drying them from tears.