Prologue

This fanfic starts just where Glass Sword (RQ#2) ended.

"Please... please just stop!"
Click.
"Please stop!"
Click. Click.
I scream in agony.
Cli...
"That's enough!" A voice calls .
His voice.
"Yes ,your majesty ."my torturer replys.
"You're dismissed . "Maven orders .
They all leave. The machine is dormant. I hear his footsteps.
"Is it over? "I cry out,"Can I die now?"I plead.
He takes my chin up , forcing me to look at him. My hands are tied to chains on both sides. He forces me up .
"Over?"he says softly.
He chuckles "We're far away from over,Mare."he says,"Today's your birthday though."he brushes my hair out of my face. His touch hurts but I'm too numb to feel anything.
I can't be more afraid of his birthday gift.
He steps back to leave.
"Why,Maven?"I choke out,my voice hardly mine anymore," What did I ever do to you?"
He laughs,"Are you forgetting that you killed my mother?!"
"You killed my brother! You sentenced me to death. And yet I ......loved you. I loved the boy I thought you were."
"That boy never exsisted. Now stop playing with me. You may be able to fool my brother this way. But not me!"he roars.
"Get yourself together. I'll come back ."

***
"Cal sent word if you want to know."he says.
"Do you want to know?"he asks,testing me.
I don't reply.
"He begged me to give his letter to you. In the letter though..." he continues, "was all those nonsense that he'll save you and he'll defeat the Evil King."he laughs."his final words to be exact were 'I sleep at night with your thought. I know where you are and I will save you.'" Maven laughs again."I'm sure you're probably filled with hope that he'll be your knight in shining armor. "He takes my chin a little too violently, "He will not save you. He doesn't even know you're not in the Bowl of Bones. "
I don't even know where I am but I can't help but feel my heart fall because deep down I hoped Cal would actually save me.

"You will pay for your sins . But now I want you to enjoy my gift to you." He clicks something on a remote control and a hologram appears in front of me.
He leans in closer to me ,"This. Is. What. I . Do. To . The . People. Who . Disobey. Me. Mare." His words are like a horrible background melody as I watch the scene in front of me. It's an image of the Stilts. With its dirty houses and streets . The camera is probably in a jet and I watch as they drop their bombs on helpless people of Stilts. My hometown.
There remains nothing but cold ash and dead bodies.
He killed them all.