Chapter 2

"Mare. Mare. Look at me , are you alright? "Cal asks as he helps me up from the ground. He sits next to me and I bury myself in his shoulder. When I finally look at his face under the sunlight I've missed so much, I see just how much he has changed.
It scares me.
How much more has changed? What has happened to people I care about?
He's not the prince who danced with me in the moon room. He's a soldier. A soldier with a gray shirt and messily shaved face. Only his golden eyes are the same as I remember reflecting the fire within.

"How ... how did you find me?"I ask weakly.
"Maven ...."  He spits his name out like he wished he never existed " He said we can find you here. Mare. Why did he let you go?"He asks,his golden eyes looking at me with worry.
"He didn't just.let.me.go."I reply.
He actually will have us BOTH soon. I remind myself.
"Then why..?"
"My god. Mare. "Kilron rushes to me from behind Cal,cutting him off. He hugs me tightly and I feel my pain go away at my best friend's touch. "Are you okay?"he asks.
I almost want to laugh at his question.

Cal shifts uncomfortably next to me. "This does not make any sense."he changes the topic again.
"Will you let her breath,Cal?"Kilron snapps at him,"She just came back from an ordeal!"
Cal and Kilron take me to the truck they came here with and there's one more person waiting for me .
"Nice to see you again, lightening girl. " Cameron says ,pulling me in for a hug. That's probably the nicest she's ever been.

"Nice to see you,too,Cameron. "I reply.
"Come on. Let's get you back in the truck."She says as she leads me.
"Will you drive?"Cal asks Kilron .
"Fine but give her some space ,okay?"
***
"So ,have you been training? "I suddenly ask Cameron,unable to hold Cal's gaze anymore.
"Oh. Yeah. You promised that I'll be the most dangerous person,right?"she laughs softly,"Cal helped a lot."he smiles at her.

"Why did he let you go ,Mare?"Cal asks all of a sudden.
I hold his gaze.
"I ... I don't know."
I lie to him. It's not as easy as I thought it would be. Some would think that after spending so much in the silver court it's easier. It's never easy to lie to him,though.
What he will do when he finds out? Would he leave? Would he lose his trust in me ?
"There must be a reason. "Cameron says,"I mean from how you guys described him, Maven doesn't sound like an idiot. "
"No."Cal says ,still looking at me," He is certainly not."
Suddenly the window between the back of the truck and the driver's cabin opens.
"Guys?"Kilron calls worriedly,"We've got company. "He says hesitantly.
"What?!"Cal asks,jumping up to the window.
"I think it's the... "he quietly parks the truck,and the humming of its engines stop,"The Shadow Legion."He says .
"What the hell are you talking about ?! There is  no Shadow Legion."Cal scoffs, unable to see them himself.
"You're wrong ,your highness. That's shadow legion. In the flesh."Kilron replys,now sure of the golden crown and the arrows  that is their mark.
That should be tough for Cal. Shadow Legion was his. He was proud to have it and now it has fallen on Ptolemus to lead every soldier to do Maven's dirty work.
I did know though. Ptolemus had its badge when I last saw him and so did a few other soldiers I met.

"But... but this route is unused. They shouldn't be this far from the city."Cal says,rubbing his forhead .
"This is a trap. That's why Maven wrote you that letter. That's why he said you should come yourself. "Cameron says," This is a bloody trap!"
I look at their post from the windscreen, their tents ,their trucks and weapons.
But I know they are not waiting for us.
Cal isn't their price today.
"We had worst. "I say coolly.

"What is wrong with you?!?"Cal shouts," We are less than a mile away from a whole legion of silvers and you say we had worst ? !what about us?! Will your precious Maven let ME go too?! Will he?! What is wrong with you,Mare? What is it you're not telling us?!"
"There's nothing wrong with me."I say ,looking at the floor.
"You expect me to believe that he just let you go?!"He says loudly, "Don't you think I of all people know how much he wanted you?!"
"Guys, here's not the right time nor place for..."Cameron starts.
I stand up quickly, meeting his gaze,"What... Do you want me to turn myself in again, because you're not happy to see me, your highness ?!"
"This isn't about me,Mare. "He says, his eyes on fire," This is about you and still believing that there's one single shred of goodness in your beloved Maven. "
Slap
My palm hits his hot cheek . He doesn't step back. He friezes in the spot.
He doesn't turn his face . His hand is now on his cheek where I slapped him.
"Don't . You. Dare . You don't know what I've been through ."I tell him as tears stream down," You can't even begin to understand how much I've suffered. How much HE HURT ME. "
That's what you get for your sins, a voice shimes in my head. I remember the faces I killed. Their faces flashed by every second of my torture. Being in a cage with such a burden was a fate worst than death.

The sounder machine,my birthday gift ,or the leash was nothing. Nobody exept Maven knows the things that happened to me. I tremble at the thought of them all. I fear that my greatest enemy knows my weaknesses better than myself.

Cal slowly turns his face to look at me again. I expect to see anger because I'm probably one of the few people who ever dared slapping the heir . But I see sadness.

"Turn around Kilron. Let's get out of this hell."I say to the driver.
I take a seat next to Kilron in the driver's cabin and leave Cal be.
But he's right.
There's something I'm not telling them.
Shadow Legion won't be following us today. And that's because Maven won't help me in the job he freed me for. He once to see me betray Cal.
Love blinds. He once said.
I wish it didn't.
Once, a long time ago, I bargained myself for them,for Cal,Kilron and others. I went back so they could live. Maven let Cal go once. It was part of our deal. Their lives in return for me. He accapted, he wanted me more than anything.

Something has changed. Now he wants Cal so badly ,that he's desperate enough to let me go to bring Cal to him.

He has my leash so long as he has Gisa.

__________
So everyone, thank you for all your support and messages and comments they mean the world. 300 reads with 2 chapters! Thanks a world!
I know this chapter was kind if short and crap and I'm so so sorry.
I'm sorry it's short and late... I am gonna participate in a competition and I was really really busy... plz plzzzz pray it all goes well. Thank you all.
Let me thank EmilyWarner3 for her support.
Love you girl😙

P.S: I want to write some flash backs of the time she  was in Maven's cells. Would you like those flash backs every once in a while?