Chapter 8

"MARE! MARE ! Listen to me! We need to keep going, She gave up her life so you can go on! MARE!"
"That's enough! We're going."
Cal's hand wrap around me as he pushes me forward,"If you love her,You will live for her. You wouldn't let her sacrifice be wasted. "Cal whispers in my ear. My breath hitches. I know they're close, I know I should go but my knees feel like bricks. I just want to sit here and cry until I die and join her.
If you love her.
"Please . We need to go... "He says again.
And then I'm on my feet,clearing the tears and jumping over her dead body . Cal starts after me ,too. Hot tears drown me as I run. Visions of her beautiful smile and how she died repeat in my head.
"We can't go with the jet. Shooting us down would be too easy. "He tells me.

I'll save you. I will.

Mare. I love you. Don't sell yourself for me. Please...

You should keep going! Please Mare for our family, for your people! They need you!

"I..I'm sorry ."I choke out,clearing thr tears,"What did you say?" I ask him.

"I said we have no chance of getting out of here with th- What the hell? !" He is intrupted when we notice the upcoming truck from the other side of the forest . Maven's?
We stare in bewilderment as the truck stops sharply in front of us.
Cal's palms erupt with fire as he gets ready to fight.
"ARE YOU GETTING IN OR WHAT?!?!" The driver yells.
I look at Cal and know that he doesn't have a clue either.
****
"How did you even find us , Cameron? " Cal asks her.
How did she even know we were here?
"CAL watch out that trunk!! "She shouts and Cal suddenly makes a sharp turn throwing all of us the other way. His grip on the steering wheel so hard, his knuckles have turned white.
"What were you guys thinking? !?What the f**k were you doing here?!" She shouts in fear as we turn sharply again .
" They're not following, Cal."I inform him .
"What?!" Cameron says,"but... but they could easily get to us."
Cal's so focused on the dark road I don't even think he can hear us. He could drive better so he and Cameron switched places.

Base to Cam1. Base to Cam1 ! CAN YOU HEAR ME??!
The voice is sharp,and loud enough for all of us to hear.
"Bree, Is something wrong?!" Cameron shouts through the device.
I look up ,hearing my brother's voice.
"You gotta get back hear,Cam___. Mare ans Cal have disappeared and... a...." Bree's voice cuts off.
"Bree . What's happening? ! Bree?!" I shout.
Bree doesn't respond.
We lose the connection with a beep.
And I shudder ,fearing that I just lost another sibling.

The drive was long.
And we couldn't find the words to speak. If there was an attack on base,we didn't know what we could do. Everything would be lost. My brothers. My friends. Kilron. They would all be lost.
"He's alive. "Cal says suddenly,"Mare. You can't give up. I'm sure they're okay."
I appreciate that he cares. But I can't even find it in myself to thank him. Gisa just died. All my friends are possibly meeting the same end sooner or later.
"That's why you weren't followed! Maven didn't have enough numbers! He sent them all to the base!"She concludes, putting her hand to her mouth in shock.
"He had the numbers. He chose to let us go and I don't know why."I tell her.
Usuall Maven being the master-freaking-mind.

"She's right , Cameron. "Cal says,his eyes still on the dark road,"this is not the reason we weren't followed."
And as usual we don't know what is on Maven's mind. One week ago I would hug my knees and give up. I would go to him and tell him that he can own me. That I would do anything he orders. But now...My sister is dead. She killed herself because of HIM,because of all the things he did to her and I don't care anymore .
I'm going to make him pay for it.
It's almost dawn when we slowly arrive at the base.
"The guards. Where are they?"I choke out,seeing their empty towers.
"Let's find out."Cameron says and we all exit the car.
We keep our eyes open,Cal's hands spark with fire and Cameron keeps her gun close and we march forward carefully. Everything is quiet.
"Guys."Cameron says.
And then we turn to where she's standing,above the dead body of a guard. Around his hed a circle of red blood.
"Dead?"Cal asks quietly, and Cameron drops to check for a pulse or anything but shakes her head. "Yeah."She says.
"He was on watch on the tower above."Cameron says ,pointing at the tower.
We start walking again.
And I can't start thinking of all the possibilities. All the thoughts. Fears.
Is everyone else dead?
I look around, no body walks. No sound is heard and when we reach the main door ,I hoped I could say that what I saw was just an illusion ,a lie.
An M is marked on the gate. In red. With a pang of fear I figure it's red blood.
Everyone you ever loved will die. Because of you.