Rule #6

So Rule number six goes hand in hand with five but is a bit different. It's a very important rule for those of us like me who make up stories to get out of difficult situations. Here it is, Rule #6 Remember all your lies! And while initially it may seem like an easy rule when you get in way too deep, like me, you find that it's not so easy.
Keeva has been sticking to me more than usual. Slinging her arm around me while we walk to class, sitting close to me at lunch and while part of my brain is happy for the attention it's making me nervous. Fortunately Anya seems to be oblivious to it seeing as she is also just a very touchy affectionate person but this means that I've noticed for Keeva it has become a game of who can do it the most.
I don't know how she thinks she's not being obvious but I can't bring it up without having to talk about why I can have Anya all over me and not Keeva. See my predicament?
At home my mom comes into my room to see my staring at the ceiling. "As fascinating as the ceiling is I have some news for you." I sit up interested, "news?" I prompt. She smiles. "I've got the weekend off and I was wondering if you wanted to go to the beach before it gets too cold." I jump to my feet "Hecks yes!" "Also," I wait for what comes next it will either be awesome or significantly not awesome. "You can bring one friend with you, I can call Keeva's parents right now if you want." "No!" I almost scream. My mom looks at me a bit startled. "I mean I kinda wanted to bring Anya. You know the new girl." She looks at me for a moment before answering. "Oh okay. That's fine. When you ask her ask for her parents number so I can contact them and let them know." I salute as she leaves my room but before she's all the way out the door she turns around. "Any specific reason you want to take Anya instead of Keeva?" I pale but reply, "well she's new and we have a lot in common I just want to know her better." She nods and leaves. And while that is true it's mostly cause I'm not sure I'd survive a weekend with Keeva. Now I have to figure out a way to tell them both with as little drama as possible.
When we get to school the next day Keeva is at my locker looking way too happy for seven in the morning. "Guess what!" She says. "School is cancelled?" "No," she rolls her eyes affectionately, "I've got tickets to see the new Cinderella this Saturday." I cringe. "Umm... About that." She frowns. "I'll be at the beach with my mom." "Oh that's cool mother daughter bonding time." Apparently my silence is loaded enough for her to realize I'm not telling the whole truth. "It's not just gonna be you two is it?" I shake my head. "Who is coming?" "Well I haven't asked her yet..." "It's Anya isn't it." I don't say anything. "I knew it. You're replacing me!" "I'm not really." I almost plead. "Then why?" "I want to know her better we have a lot in common, we can relate in a way I can't with you." She sighs "Whatever." I wonder why she's given up so easily when I feel hands on my eyes. "Guess who?" "A munchkin." I turn to see Anya look mock offended and give her a real hug.
Keeva says "see you later." I hear the bitterness in her tone and it cuts into me a little. "Sooooo" I say turning to Anya, "what are you doing this weekend?" She grins,"A whole lotta nothing. Why?" I laugh "Well my mom wanted me to go to the beach with her and I can invite a friend. And I want you to come to." "Really?" She asks with such obvious glee that I can't regret asking her. "Really really." She starts jumping up and down in excitement. "I need your dad's number so my mom can call him and give him all the details if you can go." She grins, "No prob bob." As she gets a scrap piece of paper to write on. I laugh and the bell rings as she hands me the number. "I'm sure he'll say yes! Oh my gosh I'm so excited!!" I grin as we skip to class unable to regret my decision I'm excited too.
When I get home from school my mom is in the kitchen making tea. "I have the number!" I say in a loud voice handing her the scrap paper with a flourish. I felt a vibration in my back pocket and pulled out my phone to see a text from Anya. It said I CAN GO!!!!! XD I replied with an equally exuberant Hecks yeah little buddy!!! XD She replied with I'm not little :P And we started texting about how awesome this weekend is going to be while our parents talked out the details in the background. We end up doing our homework together as well which may seem impossible but we are the generation of technological know-how and multi-tasking and as such we have certain things to prove wrong. Anyway we texted until it was time for us to get at least a little sleep before school the next day. I lay awake for a bit longer thinking through some things.
I do feel bad for not inviting Keeva but at the same time I really do want to get to know Anya better and while I do believe that wholeheartedly, a part of me wonders if maybe that's just me wanting to believe my own lies. It's a tangled mess in there, and right now I'm struggling to see what's real and what's made up. I really do like being friends with Anya and if being with her helps me also forget, if only temporarily, how I feel about Keeva then that's just killing two birds with one stone right? ...I'm not really sure what the truth is anymore.