Chapter 57: Installation of Hardware Bugging Devices

Felicity takes long strides down the sidewalk to keep up with Oliver—and partly to work off some of the nervous energy. Talking about going into an illegal casino to count cards is all well and good, but doing it is another matter entirely. She's probably chewed off half of her lipstick by now, biting at her lips the way she has. When that hasn't worked through the nervous energy, it's been a hand at her hair, making sure it covers the comm in her ear.

Oliver catches her hand before it can touch her hair this time, taking it in his own and weaving his fingers through hers. "Everything is going to be fine, Felicity," he assures her gently, and she appreciates that he's not using her indecision now to remind her that she doesn't have to do this. Even though he's not thrilled about the idea of putting her in danger, he at least has the courtesy to respect her decision. "I'll be right outside if anything happens." He holds up the bag in his hand as a reminder—the bag that holds his Arrow suit.

"Assuming, of course, I get a friendly warning and not a bullet," she blurts, wincing when the thought leaves her mouth unbidden. Trying to cover her gaffe, she continues, "Which I should—there's no reason why they should shoot me for counting cards. That sounds like it would be bad for business. I wouldn't want to gamble in an illegal casino known for killing people." She stops before amending her statement. "Well, I wouldn't want to gamble in an illegal casino, anyway, but no way would I want to think about it in a place where death and/or possible dying is something I have to worry—"

"Felicity," Oliver cuts in gently, reminding her that she had a point to her conversation before she let her mouth run away with her again. He stops her, placing his hands on either side of her face. Then he sighs, as though his next words pain him. "It helps to think of each step on its own," he offers, and Felicity decides that the last thing Oliver wants to do is give her advice about fieldwork. "Right now, we need to get you in there, which is why I'm listening for the password." With no warning, he drops a demanding kiss on her mouth, rough and quick. "I'll be with you the entire time."

Not trusting words to serve her this time, Felicity nods once before pulling away. Saying goodbye would only make this more difficult, so she simply elects not to. Instead, she takes several steps forward, heading toward the lone streetlight in the dark in front of her to the casino. After the first block, she can't fight the urge to look back any longer, and, predictably, Oliver is no longer standing where she left him. But a quick glance upward quells her nerves; she's seen him in that hood enough times to find it, even when it's just a faint outline of a shadow in the dark.

"The password is 'snapdragon,'" Oliver supplies helpfully in Felicity's ear, causing her to jump slightly. His voice this time is flat without emotion, and she knows he's trying to focus on the mission to avoid thinking of what she's walking into.

"Roger that," she answers, trying to take up the tone he's set. Still an errant thought manages to make its way out of her mouth: "Or is it 'copy'? I thought they were interchangeable, but I'm apparenly the only one on this team who doesn't know military jargon. Or how to fight."

Before she can apologize for the words that just left her mouth, Oliver cuts in. "Can we have this argument tomorrow, please?" he asks tersely, but Felicity thinks the 'please' softens it a bit. "I'd like to get this over with."

Felicity huffs but doesn't say anything more, knowing he's just as nervous about this as she is. Instead of trying to argue or pick a fight, she focuses on the task at hand. Once she's taken a few deep breaths to help her make peace with what she's about to do, Felicity marches up to the guard and tells him the password with a smile. "Snapdragon," she says lightly, and only afterward does she realize she didn't even give him a chance to ask.