Chapter 6: Old Hardware Removal

Felicity has to take a breath to steel herself as she walks into the Queen mansion, even for the second time, and she still thinks she's not good enough for this place. There's more money on the walls than she'll ever see in her life, and it's terrifying to be as klutzy as she is knowing there's a Ming Dynasty vase on display behind her. She waits in the entry hall because she isn't really sure where to go; the walk back to Oliver's room was a labyrinth, and there's no way she's going to attempt that journey on her own.

It doesn't help that there's such a crowd in the lobby, what with the party going on and all. But still, this is when Oliver told her to come pick up his old computer for parts, and she needed to get away from work before she went insane anyway. She'd be grateful for the interruption otherwise, but she never feels in place at the Queen mansion.

A familiar face from the tabloids comes up to her, dripping swagger, charm, and the promise of mischief. With his dark hair and eyes, Tommy Merlyn is even more attractive than the media makes him out to be, and she can understand now why there are so many rumors about his womanizing; there is just something innate about him that draws in the opposite sex—something that can't be explained by good looks or old money.

"You look a little lost," he says, but not in a way that indicates she doesn't need to be here. "Can I get you something to drink?"

Felicity shakes her head. "No, thank you, Mr. Merlyn," she offers, trying to be as professional as possible, since the last thing she wants is Tommy Merlyn flirting with her. "I was to pick up some old computer parts from Ol—Mr. Queen." She catches the slip that will give her away as being on more casual ground with Oliver. She realizes that she hasn't introduced herself. "I'm Felicity Smoak." By way of explanation for her presence, she says, "I'm in the IT Department at Queen Consolidated."

Tommy smiles knowingly—the little flirt—at her slip-up, catching it despite her best efforts. "Figures," he says with a laugh. "He always did know how to pick them." He appraises her in a way that makes her entire face burn. "They're always beautiful, but brainy, too? That's new." When she doesn't rise to the bait, he offers finally, "He's upstairs in his room, I think—had something to talk about with Laurel, his lawyer." She sees the shadow that crosses his face with that statement, and she wonders quietly if Tommy has some serious unrequited feelings for Laurel. At her blank look, he chuckles and asks, "Need a tour guide?" He offers his arm in a way she hopes is teasing.

She sighs before admitting defeat. "I think so," she admits sadly. "I've been through the upper floor once already, but something tells me it's going to take more than one attempt."

Tommy laughs at her voiced thoughts as he heads up the stairs, Felicity at his side. "I think so," he agrees. "This house was built over a few generations as land was purchased and graded, so it's a little winding in places. I think maze is the nice way of putting it."

"I'm still expecting to find angel statues and an Aplan temple up above us," she agrees, but then turns crimson as she realizes what she's said—and to Tommy Merlyn, of all people. If she ever had "cool" status, it would have been revoked for this moment alone.

He shoots her a puzzling glance, slowing in walking pace. "What?" he asks after a long moment, smiling a little as he takes in her reaction.

Felicity hides her now-red face with her hands for a moment before trying to salvage it. "You know, a maze of the dead?" she tries nonchalantly. "Three levels of statuary and maze-like passageways. It's—" She cuts herself off. "And I'm trying to pretend I'm not a nerd, but I'm only making it worse."

Tommy chuckles. "Do you do this all the time?" he asks. "And does anyone ever understand?"

Felicity sighs. "Yes and yes, unfortunately," she responds, waving her hands around a little. "It's how I communicate—I don't understand why. And my fellow IT gremlins in the Satan Pit—that's what I call the IT department—always know what I'm talking about." She huffs. "It's not as much fun with you... normal people, though. Oliver has a perfectly reasonable excuse, but there's no plausible reason why you wouldn't have caught that."