Chapter 15: Firewall Removal

Felicity decides, for not the first time, that she's an idiot.  She should not be here—she doesn't fit in, she doesn't want to be here, and she's about a million dollars short of being able to hang with this crowd.  Seriously, if she sees one more vintage Chanel in the room, she's going to scream.  But then she reminds herself that Oliver specifically asked her to be here, and she thinks it's more because he wants to show her that he's finally realizing his goals and following her advice.  It's a nice gesture, but that still doesn't mean that it's her scene.

Don't get her wrong, Verdant is pretty spectacular—not that she expected anything else.  She doesn't know a lot about what's considered cool in the club scene, but Oliver's opted for an industrial theme, with steel support beams and columns.  It's low-lit interior mostly relies on the moon for what little light is available; a few metalwork designs are suspended from the ceiling, wired with lightbulbs, but there aren't enough to really light the place up.  It's truly a nice place, and she reminds herself to congratulate him when she sees him.

But the fundraiser for the Starling City Fire Department has brought in a crowd of the rich and fabulous—mainly because it's Oliver and Tommy hosting, and everyone wants a look at Verdant—and Felicity has already made her two-hundred-dollar deposit.  The guy taking checks looked a little unimpressed by the amount, probably because it was the smallest he'd seen all night.  In response, Felicity had said, "Hey, I'm a working stiff with a Masters degree to pay for.  I have to eat at some point this week."  The guy had seemed a little awkward after that, and Felicity didn't feel sorry for him.  That's what happens when you make assumptions.

She honestly couldn't spare so much, but it's for a pretty good cause.  She's developed the habit of watching the news to keep up with the Arrow's whereabouts, so she's heard about the two firemen's deaths in the past week.  Because she's curious and good at getting herself into trouble, she digs into the SCPD server and finds the coroner's report for one Danny de la Vega.  After some further investigation into the arson report, lo and behold, he apparently was burned at a hotter temperature than the fire actually reached.  Coincidence, she thinks not.

Through a break in the crowd, she's actually able to see Oliver talking to another guest.  She doesn't exactly want to charge across the room to say hello—and risk being drawn into conversation with some random rich billionaire with a god complex—so she instead stands by the refreshment table and enjoys the nice red sitting there.  She watches him for a while, and is surprised to find his eyes finally land on her.  She offers a little wave, which he returns.  She's so lost in her people (well, Oliver) watching that she nearly jumps out of her skin when a very familiar voice says, "I told Tommy you wouldn't bail out on Ollie.  Remind me to rub it in his face later."

Felicity turns to find herself tackled, or possibly hugged, by Thea Queen.  "Good to see you, too, Thea," she replies, chuckling.  Then she remembers the last time they talked.  "How mad was Oliver when he realized you told me about the accident?" Felicity asks as Thea releases her.

Thea waves a hand easily, still smiling, indicating it can't be that bad.  "He attempted to grumble something at me," she replies easily, "but it was really half-hearted."  She winks.  "I think it was more for the sake of saying he did yell at me than actually doing it."  Leaning in, she adds, "That's the best mood he's been in since he came home."  Her voice turns suggestive as she continues, "And I know he spent the night at your place."

Felicity turns crimson at the accusation, and she waves her hands violently.  "What? No!" she replies quickly.  "He didn't spend the night.  He brought me food and stayed long enough to tolerate me watching The Princess Bride.  And then he left.  I haven't seen or talked to him since."  Somehow her voice turns almost disappointed at the end, and she wonders when it decided to do that on its own.