Chapter 27: Network Setup

Felicity huffs as she loads the two desktop computers into the back of her car, trying to stop smiling. She seriously shouldn’t be this excited about going down into a stuffy basement again, but it’s not about that. It’s about being a part of something, being officially considered part of the team. And, as someone who has rarely belonged to something in her life, she’s thrilled to watch the sky grow ever darker as the city settles into the night.

Because the night means the Arrow.

She can’t help but wonder when things changed—when the work she performs for the Arrow became her reality and identity, and when her job at Queen Consolidated became so dry and monotonous. She used to love it, but now there’s no challenge or thrill to it like there was before. But, then again, maybe it’s an unfair comparison to make—she’s not exactly asked to break into SCPD servers and help save vigilantes’ lives at QC. Maybe it’s for the best that she’s a mild-mannered IT girl by day.

True to his word, the Arrow left her alone yesterday, and she spent the day taking care of Oliver's laptop troubles. She used the morning to catch up on her shows and make sure that the computers for the lair were working properly. Then she and Barry met for their traditional Saturday lunch, even though there wasn't much to discuss since they had seen each other the day before. That was when the Arrow had called, asking her if she could come into the lair tonight, and she'd jumped at the opportunity to do so.

The sound of tires on concrete makes her look up, and the presence of a black, paneled van immediately makes her suspicious—there aren’t a lot of those around her apartment complex, and she can just see masked men jumping out of it to kidnap someone. Then she shakes her head, clearing away the errant thought. She really didn’t need to watch all those action movies with Barry; they do horrible things for her imagination.

It pulls up to block off her car, and she’s surprised to see a familiar face behind the wheel. Diggle waves at her from the driver’s seat, and she returns it as the passenger door slides open, and the Arrow hops out.

“You know this looks like an abduction scene straight out of an action movie, right?” she asks him, crossing her arms. “Should I try to scream, or should I just run impressively in high heels?” She frowns, looking at her shoes. “Technically, I’m in flats, but that’s the standard thing—the women always have to do everything in four-inch heels in an action movie.”

He chuckles before answering, “You have a police tail on your car. Digg noticed it when you were leaving the Queen mansion.” She can feel her eyes go wide, and his hand falls on her shoulder. “We can minimize the risk using the van and the bike, but it means we need to be careful until this blows over.” The corner of his mouth turns up. “And you agreed to help us, so it’s not kidnapping.” Then he adds hesitantly, “Unless you’ve changed your mind.” She can’t help but be a little insulted by the question in his tone.

Felicity rolls her eyes because it’s the most ridiculous thing she’s ever heard—as if she’d bail now, when she’s finally part of the action. She responds by shoving one of the computer towers against his chest, his arms going up to catch it immediately. “I’m not backing out,” she assures him. “I’ve been with you for months now, and I’m not walking away when I get my first chance at being part of Team Arrow.” His eyes narrow, and she challenges it with a smile. “And, besides, you need me.”