Chapter 40: Recovery of Deleted Information

Felicity can’t do much more than watch as the footage on television continues, the camera focused on Roy’s face. She even forgets Oliver’s arm snaking around her waist in a way that might not be entirely appropriate for friends, pulling her against him in support. She knows she should excuse herself and make a run straight down for the lair to get everything ready, but for right now, she needs to see what’s happening.

“Who’s that?” she faintly hears Laurel ask in the background, but she doesn’t hear Tommy’s answer over the sound of Falk’s voice through the television’s speakers.

“Meet Roy Harper,” Falk says in a synthesized voice. It’s not unlike the one Oliver uses as the Arrow, but, for some reason, this one sends a chill down her spine. Maybe it’s because she knows Oliver wouldn’t do this—to Roy or anyone else. Killing to stay alive is one thing, but execution and exhibitionism are something cruel and entirely out of his repertoire. “He has arrests for larceny, robbery, and aggravated assault.” She can feel Oliver’s eyes land on her, waiting for her to deny it, but she doesn’t because she knows it’s true. “And yet he’s out on the street—another gangster in the Glades running free.”

A thought suddenly occurs to Felicity, and it springs her into action as it leaves her mouth in a single word: “Thea.” It takes a moment longer for it to dawn on Oliver, but by then she already has her phone in hand, flipping through her contacts until she finds it. Every moment between rings feels like hours, and the call itself an eternity.

Just when she’s about to panic and demand Oliver get down to the lair and hood up, Laurel or no Laurel, she hears the distinct sound of a phone ringing and heels across Verdant’s floor. As soon as she sees the curly brown hair, Felicity says to Tommy with a hand toward the TV, “Turn that off.” The last thing Thea needs is to see what she already knows about displayed across the TV, and Felicity isn’t going to subject her to that kind of torture.

Felicity notices the long streaks of black mascara down Thea’s cheeks just before she launches herself into her brother’s arms. “I didn’t know where else to go,” Thea starts in a watery voice, words tumbling over one another frantically. “I went to see Roy—we had a fight and I wouldn’t let it go—and then some guy just came out of nowhere and attacked us!” Her voice breaks once toward the end. “I don’t know what to do, Ollie—the cops won’t get to him in time.”

Felicity watches Oliver whisper something to her—probably the same promise he made earlier—and then Tommy gently pries Thea away, wrapping his arms around her. “Come on,” he says gently, with a loaded look at Oliver, “let me take you home—you can watch the news from there.” Then he turns back to Laurel. “I could use your help,” he mouths to her, and Felicity knows it’s a ploy to get everyone away so that Team Arrow can move into action.

Laurel immediately takes over, pulling Thea toward her. “We’ll let Tommy finish up here,” she states gently, “and we’ll stay with you.” Then she starts leading Thea back toward the front entrance with comforting words.

When she’s suitably out of earshot, Oliver starts, “Tommy—”

Tommy is already waving a hand. “Thea is practically my sister, too,” he answers the thought, even though he doesn’t give the opportunity to say it. “And even if she wasn’t, that’s what this team is about, right?” he asks carefully. “You pick up the slack when you need to—do whatever it takes to make sure that the people of this city don’t have to worry about guys like him.” He swallows hard, nodding a few times. “I didn’t get it before, but now I do. But you can’t be with Thea and save Roy.” He turns back toward Felicity, letting his hand fall on her upper arm. “And you will save him.” With that, he turns and follows Laurel and Thea out.