Chapter 1

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! 

I wake to the sound of my alarm clock blaring. Startled, I jump up and tumble out of bed, landing roughly on the hard floor. 

Slightly rolling over to the left to unpin my arm,  I look up at the clock to see that it's nearly six. I have to be at the bookstore and punched in by seven, which doesn't leave me much time. I can already tell from my lack of sleep that it's  going to be a rough day. I was kept awake most of the night by all the moaning and screaming from my wonderful roommate Kelsey and one of her flings Aaron. And when I say one... I mean one of the many she brings around.

Grunting, I slowly sit up and run my fingers through my brown tangled hair, doing my best to keep my annoyance in. A yawn escapes my parted lips as I use all of my energy to push myself back to my feet. I just need  two more hours of sleep minimum to get by. Just two frickin' hours. Is that so much to ask for?  Sometimes I can barely make it through the day without falling asleep on my break. I've been lucky so far to not get caught napping in the back of the bookstore I work at. One day my luck is going to run out and I'm going to be left jobless and back at my parents' house. I have to do everything in my power to make sure that never happens. My parents gave me the moving out speech more than once and I never want to hear it again. 

            With not much time left before I have to leave for work, I saunter down the hallway half asleep, staring down at my black silk pajama pants as they drag across the carpet. What I see when I look up is enough to wake me completely.

           "Kelsey! What the hell?" I mutter, knowing she's too busy cozying up in her warm bed to hear. I have the urge to wake her up just piss her off but decide against it as I take in the trashed apartment. I don't have the energy for this crap.

         As I stand there with a frown, I ask myself the same question I've  been trying to figure out for the last eight weeks. How did I end up with the messiest roommate ever? I should've known better than to answer a personal ad with someone looking for a roommate. What am I , stupid? At the moment, it sure feels like it.

           Knowing I don't have much of a choice, unless I want to come home to this disaster, I quickly start cleaning up the chips and empty beer cans. I throw my arms up in frustration and end up dropping most of the chips that I just picked up once I get a view of the kitchen. Just wonderful. The kitchen looks like hell. The garbage is over flowing, the counter is full of pizza crust and smashed up beer cans, the floor is covered in sticky spots and the freshly painted wall that should be white is covered with some kind of pink fluid. Not even animals live this messy. Letting out a breath of frustration, I quickly start cleaning up as quickly as I can manage. The last thing that I want to do after working for eight hours is to come home and stare at a filthy house all day. Kelsey doesn't clean, so I have no choice. Big surprise here. I find a loud and lazy roommate that's been late on rent every month since we've moved in.

          Once the house is as clean as I can get it in a rush, I toss the dirty rag into the trash and turn around, bumping into something hard that sends me flying back. My eyes wander up to see a half-naked Aaron wearing just a tiny towel. 

He lets out a long burp and then reaches for my hand. "Hey there, gorgeous." His dark hair falls over his brown eyes as he yanks me back up to my feet. Every muscle in his firm chest flexes and it's somehow easier to see why Kelsey might enjoy his company. 

         I cover my eyes and point down at his towel. "Do you mind fixing that?" I question. I wait for him to ajust the towel before I open my eyes again.  "Did you guys have fun last night?  This house looks like hell." I rub my hand over my eyes and yawn. " I sure hop so."