Ch.5

Maya's phone began blowing up as she sat in the park with Alex.
"You gonna get any of those?" Maya shook her head.
"It's getting dark. Want me to walk you home?"
"I don't want to go home."
"And why's that?"
"Because I don't like it there." Her answers were very flat out. Not much of an explanation, though.
"I'm not letting you go home alone in the dark."
"I'm not going home."
"You're running away?"
"No, I'm just not staying there tonight."
"And why not?"
"I told you. I don't like it there."
"You didn't say why." She shrugged her shoulders.
"Where are you sleeping?"
"The docks."
"That's not a very good nights sleep."
"I like it there. If Kermit asks, I'm at a friends house." He watched as she crutched away.
She leaned against a tree and pulled out her phone.
"Lucas?"
"You called me. Wow. Is everything okay?"
"Ya. I'm fine. I also don't really want to talk."
"Then, why did you call?"
"I just need to know you're in the other line. And if you could please talk, that would be really great."
"Sure. Of course." He began talking about school and continued long after she fell asleep. He would do anything that girl had asked him to.
--
Another week passed, Maya only speaking to Alex and he was beginning to notice that she really never wanted to go home. He started peeking out his window every now and then. Many times, they were drawn, but another time, he saw her crying because she forgot to draw the shades. He climbed down his tree and up hers, knocking on her window. She turned, surprised and shook her head. He knocked again. She drew the shades. He kept knocking for ten minutes and she finally opened the window.
"It's three A.M, why are you up."
"Cause I don't sleep on weekends. Why were you crying?"
"Just miss my friends."
"No."
"What?"
"I know you miss them but that's not why you're crying."
"Then why?"
"Something's going on with you."
"No."
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes."
"Just leave me alone."
"I refuse."
"Why do you even care?"
"Apparently, you don't know me at all." He climbed in and sat on her bed next to her.
"I don't know why. What did I do?" His mind went trough the possibilities of things that could be happening to her but he only wrapped his arms around the girl.
"Whatever it is, I don't think you did anything for it to happen to you."