Ch.24

"Hey, Maya." Said Topanga, lightly hugging the scrawny girl, walking into the kitchen. "You're legs!" She said, stepping back to look at her. "And you're arms are all bruised. We need to feed you."
"I'm fine, Mrs.Matthews."
"Sit and eat with us." Maya smiled and sat down behind her soup, Riley on one side and Lucas on the other.
"So where were you, water bug?" Asked Lucas.
"When I called you, I was in Indiana. Have you heard anything about Aria and Charlotte?"
"Nothing new." She nodded, worriedly, before taking a sip of the soup. "How long's it been sense you ate?"
"Three days."
"Yikes. One more question."
"What?"
"Your arms. How?" She turned back to her bowl of soup and began to fiddle with the spoon.
"Michael."
"How was he even proven not guilty? You fell over half a year ago." She shrugged her shoulders.
"Maya. You have to eat." Said Topanga, noticing that she had stopped. She nodded an pushed her hair out of her face before forcing a spoonful into her starved body. After dinner, they fell asleep of the couch, Maya started to shiver so Lucas moved her head to his lap and out the blanket over her, and stroking her hair.
"Just tell her you like her." Whispered Topanga. He jumped, surprised. Maya sat up, rubbing her eyes.
"Sorry." He said.
"How did I end up like that?"
"He moved you." Said Topanga, switching off the TV. "You've got a lot of sleep to catch up on." She said, walking out. Maya sank back in the couch. Lucas moved her to his shoulder, and she fell asleep.
--
"Ha!" Said Farkle, throwing down his last card. "I win." Maya began to collect the cards.
"Come on, Farkle." Said Riley, grabbing his arm."
"Oh. Your dragging me into a room. I like it." Her said. Meanwhile, Maya sat back on her knees and shuffled the cards.
"Riley says that you like me." She didn't answer. "You can tell me if you do." She picked up the box and began to put them in. "Come on, Maya. Do you like me?"
"Lucas, you want to be friends and I'm going to respect that. Besides, It was all just easier that way."
"Yes. But that was before we had these new feelings." She just closed the box and sat back on the couch. "I thought that was what you wanted so that's why I said we are friends."
"So how do you feel, then?"
"A little upside down. A little happy. A little confused. A little, I don't know. Like I like you."
"So we feel the same way."
"Does that let me do this?" He leaned in and kissed her.
"Too soon, too soon!" Said Riley, who had walked in a bit too early and was now running out. Maya pulled away, laughing.
"You have no idea how badly I wanted to feel the same way." He said.
"Oh, I think I do."
"Thought it was just a middle school crush."
"Then I didn't get over it too well."
"I've loved you for so long now. That kinda just came out of my mouth and I probably just scared you."
"No. It's okay. I did too."