Prologue

'Song of the chapter' section will be added to every chapter henceforth.

"So, Valerie--"

I cut off the interviewer with a slight wave of my hand, "You can call me Val."

"Okay, Val, we all know the massive star you've become now, everyone who hasn't been living under a rock knows this. But what we don't know a lot about is how this star emerged. Can you tell us how you wound up here?" he smiles warmly in stark contrast to the cold breeze nipping at my cheeks. Mirroring the colour of the cloudy sky, his grey eyes crinkle with what seems like amusement though a tinge of pity lurks in his wrinkled face.

An erratic beat thumps through my veins for a moment. I have very well been aware I would be asked this exact question now. Yet, no matter how many times I've told this story (and been asked to), an entire legion of Nymphalidae butterflies swarm in my stomach and flutter about. Perhaps a minute attempt at light humour ought to ease me out of my nervousness and help me segue into the story.

"Well, I walked up here, so..."

The audience chuckles loudly as he guffaws. The sound of laughter fades away into stony silence just as quickly as it starts. These people must have been waiting for quite some time in this stuffy studio with only one window, I ought not to waste too much more of their time.

"Nah, I'm just kidding," I say, a little cough escaping my chapped lips.

"So, Val, care to share your story?" he prompts me, pushing strands of his wavy brown hair out of his eyes as one of his eyebrows tilt in curiosity.

I reply in a low voice, "Well, it's long..."

"I don't think anyone minds, do you?" he asks the audience enthusiastically, his youthful voice not betraying his age. He is practically bouncing in his seat as he waves at the audience to respond. 

A collective and loud response rings out from the audience, "No!"

A round of appreciative hoots reverberate around, the sound amplified by the grey false ceiling. I angle myself towards the audience as a particular spotlight nearly blinds me, a laugh emerging out of my mouth albeit fused with a ringing cough. I still get surprised at how many times they want to hear the story.

"So, can you? I mean, many have probably asked you that question a lot, but we'd like to hear the entire story in one go," he draws my attention back to him and crosses his fingers in front of him as his eyes sparkle with interest.

"Sure, I'd love to..."

"Nervous?" he asks when I trail off.

"No, I'm just trying to figure out where to start," I uncross and cross my legs as I prepare to narrate one long story.

"From the beginning!" he quips with a few laughs accompanying him.

"Of course!" I smile back at him.

Now that my frazzled nerves are smoothed down, I take a deep breath, or at least attempt to as a cough stops me. Clearing my throat and running my tongue over my lips, I delve deep into my past to start out the story, reliving every moment just like I did the first time around.

- - - - - - -

DISCLAIMER:

Most of the characters in this story are fictional.

Any resemblance to real people alive or dead is purely coincidental (unless otherwise mentioned).

That being said, go ahead and read the rest of it (if and when it is posted)...

- - - - - - -