Chapter 20

Song of the chapter- 'Ghost' by Ella Henderson

'Bright light living in the shade
Your cold heart makes my spirit shake'

"Val, you ready?" Van knocks on my door.

"Hold on for a minute!" I yell and pull on the white loose bohemian style crop top I had set out yesterday night before fastening my black high-waisted jeans.

I open the door and return to the mirror as I pat some face cream on my face.

"Val, I can't seem to get my hair right!" Van groans as she enters and plops down on the bed, watching me pull my hair into a half-pony and set it.

"I could have helped you, Nessa!" Stacie tells her in an annoyed tone.

"I didn't want to bother you," Van attempts to pacify her.

I chuckle at the two while I comb Van's hair into place and even place a cute butterfly clip in her hair.

"What's with the butterfly?" Stace asks me.

"It's cute! Just like Vanessa," I poke her nose and fasten a butterfly brooch to the front of my top before pulling the two out so we can eat and get moving.

We settle down for a delicious breakfast with loads of toast and Violet, in true Violet fashion, reaches for the open tomato sauce bottle but knocks it over so ketchup coats half the table and splatters onto Vanessa's white jeans. I barely miss the splattering and so does Stacie but Tracie's face is right near the epicentre of the explosion.

"I knew I shouldn't have worn white jeans," Van sighs, probably too sleepy to get angry.

"Oh that's not going to go," Stacie tells her, dabbing at the sauce stain with a tissue.

"Stace, drop it! You're only spreading it!" I tell her when it becomes clear the stain is widening in area.

Stacie's eyes widen when she takes in the mess she's created. She apologizes to Van who shrugs in response and asks me if we could implement my plan.

A wide grin fills my face as I mock her initial reaction to my idea, "But I thought that's way too tacky, Vanessa!"

She glares at me, "I've accepted that you're right, can we move on now?"

"Don't you want to eat, Essa?" Tracie's joyous voice cuts in as I turn to her and take in the spectacle of her licking the ketchup off her face.

After we're done eating, Van changes into a similar outfit but she's replaced her black top with a pale pink one and her white jeans with deep blue ones.

"I told you you'd look cute," I tell her when a content smile crosses her face when she sees her reflection.

"Let's leave now!" Tracie yells from the main door of our apartment, perhaps cleaned up.

"Geez, she's more excited than you!" Van laughs as we pull on our tapping shoes and I pick up the bag housing my outfit change and violin case before we leave, Stacie locking up behind us.

Before we know it, we've already arrived at the venue and Vanessa's so excited. I don't recall her being so excited since before Dad passed away. I'm quite glad she can be so happy about something now...

"Hello, ladies!" the presenters greet us as we enter.

"Gee, thanks, Drew and Lexo!" Van playfully punches their shoulders and walks away to find Josh. Stacie tells me she and the girls will be seated and wishes me luck before leaving.

I smile when I come to remember how different we are. She's the outgoing type and overtly confident with anyone she comes by while I'm more of the awkward person who warms up only when they get to know you better. I don't mean I don't talk politely to strangers, I do, but it's not so buddy-buddy like her...

"You coming or what?" she asks me and pulls me along, not waiting for an answer.

One of the staff members sees me and immediately rushes to me, "Okay, you're opening the show. Are you ready? Be ready in five, it'll be your turn soon."

I nod at her and pull along Van, quickly warming up my voice while she flexes her feet. When she hits my shoulder, I nod at her and flex my feet while quickly running through the notes. Getting my violin out of its case and quickly strumming it to ensure that it's not out of tune, I drop off the case and my bag before reaching the side of the stage I'm supposed to enter from.

I flash a thumbs up to Van who's set to enter from the opposite side. Her face shows off her nervousness so I mouth that it'll be okay to her. She nods in response and blows me kisses while I'm fitted with a hands-free microphone and I hand the staff member my violin to be fitted with one too and taken to its spot.

The presenters tease the judges about something before introducing the audience to the events that had unfolded after yesterday's performances.

"The first to perform and bringing a special guest onstage is our very own child prodigy and violin maestro, Valerie Tyler!"

I'm given my cue to start and I nod at Van before I enter, tapping out a rhythm as I take to the center of the stage where my violin has been placed. I add in a twirl before picking it up, suddenly remembering that I used to call it Electra. I beam at Van, giving her her cue to get ready.

Head bent down, I play a couple of notes until Van enters and twirls around me. I smile as I lift my head, absolutely loving the dramatics, and the performance shifts turns full swing, replete with me singing, us tapping and Electra's solo with the only accompaniment being us tapping.

I'm so glad we have dance because with dance, you can forget anything else going on. You can get lost in its beauty. Sometimes, I've even gotten lost in it, managing to forget everything else for those few but nevertheless phenomenal moments. It's everything to her and I'm so glad she got to have a go at dancing on a globally televised show.

She drops to the pose indicating we're at the end and I snap back to the show as I end off on a run. Luckily, I'd continued doing what I was when I zoned out so I didn't mess up. Van laughs hysterically and hugs me before rushing to the sidewings where I spot Josh standing wide-eyed and seemingly glued to the spot and completely in shock. I wink at him before turning back to the standing judges.

- - - - - - -

I'm not writing much of an AN now because:

a) I'm super drowsy, and

b) I don't have much to say. Well, except for the amazing fact that Ptx won their third Grammy, their performance was amazing and my girls Demi, Tori and Andra Day slayed their performances! Also, Katy premiered her latest song in a rather interesting manner. Okay, I'll stahp now...

Ooh, try to predict the judges' reactions (a little obvious) and that of Josh before moving on to the next chapter (if it has been posted).

- - - - - - -