Chapter 34

Song of the chapter- 'Confident' by Demi Lovato

'What's wrong with being confident?'

After adding a couple more words, she turns to the audience with a big smile, portraying her supposed gratitude and joy quite well, I have to admit. I guess she's a major pro in manipulating her way into and out of any situations she manages to find herself in. Being a helpful person seems to be biting me in the back now as she firmly plants her hand around me shoulder and adds more than enough pressure to the wound to make it hurt.

"Thank you so much!" she yells into the microphone, her eyes raking through the audience as her grip tightens.

I can't help the tears that spring to my eyes but I grit my teeth to keep from shouting out and lower my eyes to the floor so the tears aren't so easily visible. Just when I decide I've had about enough and am about to pry her fingers off me, her fingers are released from their death grip and a hand gently catches hold of my palm, nudging me along. I peek up through my eyelashes to see Josh barely retaining control of his anger as he firmly gets us both off stage before he punches a wall in a moment of pure rage and poor judgment. He lets out a groan as he drops to the ground, cradling his fist to his chest.

I'm shaken out of my pain for the moment as I race to get him some ice. He may be a lovable idiot but he definitely has issues with concealing or controlling his emotions which, I'm pretty sure, would have led to several moments of regret over the years.

"Punching a wall isn't like in the movies, Josh! You do know they use easy and kind of brittle substances so they can easily get through it right? Not concrete, you bumble!" my words race out of my mouth as he takes the ice with a smile of gratitude.

"That manipulative minstrel just drives me insane but I guess I didn't think properly? No, scratch that, I didn't think. Full stop."

"You're right about that but now how are you going to play your guitar, huh?" I confront him.

His face reddens, "Shoot, I'm done for! It's not like I can find anybody to play for me right now!"

"So, wait, if I found you someone, or some people to play for you, you would?" I query, my mind racing.

"Absolutely, but who would-"

I cut him off in my excitement, "Hold that thought!"

Minutes later, Josh's smile has become brighter than a thousand kilowatts as he takes in the ensemble to play for him today. A stage hand approaches him to give him the get go for T minus one minute, as he calls it.

"Are you sure you're okay, Erie? Is the pain too much? Is there anything I can do?" he voices his concerns for the umpteenth time.

"Josh, why don't we deal with this later? You've got to clear your mind to focus on performing right now and nothing else. We're going to play and you're going to sing, okay? Leggo!" I cheer and push him towards the stage, his excitement being infectious as we've all become so cheerful.

Josh runs out to the center of the stage to loud cheers and explains that he, unfortunately, won't be able to play his guitar, which leads to a lot of shouts. He encourages everyone to calm down because he's still going to sing and five girls have so generously agreed to play for him. Recognizing our cue, I turn to the others, all of them excited and, at the same time, nervous.

"Alright, we can do this, right?" Cynthia laughs nervously, leading to Ros patting her back in reassurance.

I lead us in entering the stage, Lau, Thia, Ros and Nat following me as we set shop and begin. The audience immediately begins to shout when we begin and cheer when Josh starts singing. He even manages to gain so much confidence that he begins to dance around, Lau and I joining him as we swivel around with our violins. Ros is barely able to contain her laughter and Nat is laughing her face off while looking at Ros's face as they both wield their guitars while Thia is floating away in percussion heaven and her drum set, even attempting to look at anything else only when the song is done and the audience is screaming for an encore.

"Oh my goodness, girls, you were so amazing out there! Thank you so much, guys, and Erie, you idiotic genius!" he gushes the second we're off stage and scoops me up into a bone-crushing hug.

"Can't breathe," I barely manage to let out, leading him to immediately set me on my feet.

Once I've managed to catch my breath, the stinging realization hits me and I punch his bicep lightly, causing him to retaliate defensively, "What was that for?"

"For making this monstrosity hurt even more than Manipulative Madison did!"

His eyes cloud over with guilt and concern as he reluctantly turns his sight to my arm and gags. His reaction drawing my attention back to my arm, I observe it to see that the bandage is basically in rags and the wound seems to have reopened a little. Fortunately, I'm prepared for such a situation so my arm is back to its earlier state pretty soon.

Thanking the girls again and sending them off to their seats, I turn to Josh who looks like he badly needs a nap, which is exactly how I feel right now. I begin to suggest he rest for a while but he pushes away my suggestion and insists upon watching me perform, which is pretty soon considering I am the closer for round one of today and there's only one more person left to perform before me, and he's being introduced on stage. Soon, it's my turn as I'm heralded there.

My introduction sounds off and I begin to play, everything going well until I begin to sing, and a high-pitched sound reverberates through the room. It's nought but the squealing of a fading or a problematic microphone.

I remember the words Generica told me back then, "I'm going to destroy you!"

It looks like she has succeeded.

- - - - - - -

Sorry if some things are too weird, I'm almost asleep right now so I'll be dozing off soon!

- - - - - - -