Chapter 33

Song of the chapter- 'Black and White' by Todrick Hall ft. Sup3rfruit and Kirstin Maldonado

'Hey dreamer, why you gotta dream so big?
How you gonna fit inside this box?
We're trying hard to fit you in.'

Josh bursts out laughing, causing me to snort and hit the back of his head.

"If that's how we're supposed to perform, I feel performing is going to be a real pain in the arse," Josh smirks, still laughing even though he tried to appear apologetic for some time.

Jessica's still lying on her back, the music still playing but she isn't singing, her expression betraying all of the sense of embarrassment she must be feeling right now. Her face contorts in anger and helplessness as one of the judges bursts out laughing and the others seem to be trying very hard to stifle their laughter. I would be content with letting this be if that wasn't against everything I believe in. The helplessness on her face is the detail that gets all of the animosity I had towards her undone and, in that moment, I can only see a girl who slipped up and is being ridiculed, reminding me of myself not too long ago when I first slipped up in choir class and sang a low note when it should've been much higher.

A lot of people made fun of me for weeks to come until one day, our choir director decided to have us all harmonize at pitches from all over the spectrum instead of every single person hitting the same note which worked out pretty well. We became much more well-known after the first competition we partook in after the decision. The same people who had scoffed at me came gushing to me with praise and begged me to join their little groups when they sang around in local competitions and stuff. Wait, what am I even thinking about? Anyways, things can so easily turn around after a bit but they can also turn back so who knows what will or won't happen? All I know right now is that someone has to help her out to keep her from hating everything about this one moment for the rest of her life.

My feet seem to have a mind of their own as they move towards her and, before I know it, I'm by her side. My hand is extended to her as the music cuts off. She stares at it in disbelief for a couple of seconds before she decides to throw all caution to the wind and takes my hand, surrendering herself to my aid as I pull her up and steady her. Her lips begin to twitch up when she seems to catch note of something behind me and frowns, traces of guilt seeping into her expression.

I turn around to see Joshua glaring at her like she was the one who killed Hedwig. The second he sees me watching him, his hardened expression swiftly sublimates into a carefree and smiley one of fluid happiness. I roll my eyes at him before turning around to see that everyone in the auditorium is basically staring at Jessica, who's cowering behind me, and me. At the sight of the sneer on the face of the same judge who was the first to laugh at her, I decide to take matters into my own hands because it seems like no one wants to do anything other than loiter around and gawk.

Raising the volume of my voice so it reverberates in the silent room, I really begin to appreciate the sweet acoustics in the room as my voice magnifies even more with the multiple echoes, all with the words, "Alright, let's start over, why don't we? And this time, let's appreciate Jessica's effort and talent properly. Come on Jessica, you can do it!"

My claps sound pathetic in the auditorium devoid of any other noise, that is, until more hands join in applause, even hoots and screams of "Go Jessica!" sound. I turn to the source of the sound and spot a girl who looks just like Jessica but with peat brown hair in place of Jessica's dirty blonde locks. Next to her are all the girls who came to support me today, happily cheering for the girl next to me with wide grins occupying their faces.

Now smiling myself, I turn to Jessica, who seems reluctant to continue, "The background music cut off and I kind of-"

"How about Josh and I help you?" I ask her, trying to come up with a way to make it work for her.

A loud scoff sounds behind me and her eyes drop to the floor in disappointment. No, this isn't going to happen, not when I'm here. I am willing to drag Josh in by tugging the collar of his shirt if I have to but it seems like I don't have to, for he steps onto stage and hands me my violin case, his guitar already in his hand as he fumbles with his pick. Despite the annoyed expression predominant on his face, he's willing to help out someone who needs help and that's what matters right now.

Smiling at us, she picks up her microphone from where it had dropped when she fell and ensures she's standing steadily before giving us the cue and we begin. A thought scrambles into my head of how neither of us is prepared to play for this song right now so what if we ruin it for her? I'm guessing we aren't by the smile of contention on her face as she flashes us a thumbs up and sings a run perfectly, a huge round of applause and appreciative hoots following.

She seems more than a little nervous when she nears the part where she slipped up but it's evident only by the way her hands are shaking and definitely not in her voice as she hits the equivalent of the note she was about to hit back then in her register. Her eyes light up when she realizes she hit the note just right and it's perfection was further highlighted by the harmony Electra's providing. She ends the song softly and the entire auditorium bursts into applause.

She takes a bow and pulls close to me, wrapping an arm around me as she says into my ear, "Guess my plan to get you to perform for me worked out just right now, Valerie."

- - - - - - -

How's that for an ending? Did you expect Valerie to do that? Did you think Jessica was going to thank Valerie and Josh for helping her out? If you were a spectator in such a situation, what would your thoughts be? Would you react more like that one judge, the other three, Josh or Erie in such a situation, or are you most likely to be the Jessica? And, last but not least, would you define Val as a pushover?

So many questions! The next update coming soon!

- - - - - - -