Chapter 5- Question Mark

Does he love me?

"Well, let's find out, dear,"

A flower appeared in front of Haru. It was a big flower, compared to Haru. He watched as the flower's petals fall off, one by one.

He loves me, he loves me not... Haru continued, watching the petals drop to the floor.

He loves me not.

"Look again, dear,"

The flower has lost all of the petals.

"Did you pluck all of them?"

Yes.

"What about that one?" Something picked up Haru, bringing him closer to the flower. He saw it, a tiny, tiny petal, almost invisible.

Haru plucked the tiny petal. He loves me.

What does it mean?

"It means what you want it to mean, dear."

No I mean-

Haru was awoken by Makoto vigorously shaking him. 

"Haru! Don't scare me like that!" Haru noticed the dried tears on Makoto's cheeks.

"I didn't do anything."

"I thought you killed yourself!"

"Now why would I do that?"

Makoto sighed, relieved. "Nevermind that. Promise you won't get any ideas of killing yourself." 

"What's with you and thinking about me dying?"

Makoto thought for a moment. "I guess I'm just afraid of losing you."

But let's be real, Makoto was reminded of the time he almost lost Haru yesterday.

"Well you don't go killing yourself, either." Haru smiled.

Makoto seemed satisfied with Haru's smile. Haru hasn't smiled ever since Makoto returned. Why? I don't know, maybe because he got a girlfriend?

"Well, I best be going. Haruhi doesn't like it when I don't participate in club activities. Not like I actually joined. I'm just there for her."

"Can I come?"

Makoto laughed nervously. "For your own sake, I suggest you not."

That could mean anything, Haru watched Makoto leave his house.

Haru had time to kill, so he spent a while playing with the water in his bathtub. He laughed at himself, remembering when he wanted to marry water when he grew up. When Haru was younger, he didn't feel any connection towards girls, something all of his friends talked about. Haru accepted the term 'asexual' and proceeded to continue life with that title. Of course, his best friends knew that Haru never had much experience with girls, so he never fell for one.

Who knew that Haru was attracted to boys.

After a while, Haru left the bathtub. He didn't have school, and he didn't have a summer job. His parents had the money, since they left him to go abroad for a job. It made a lot of money, but they had to sacrifice Haru for it. Not sacrifice as in death, but as in spending time with him. They didn't have to, however, it was Haru's choice.

Haru decided to stay in Iwami because he wanted to go to the school there. But then again, he hated school. What was the real reason, you ask?

Makoto, what else. Haru realized that he couldn't live without Makoto, so he chose to stay, leaving his parents. Haru didn't believe he liked Makoto back then, but Makoto was the most important person in his life, so it was a pretty good reason to stay.