Chapter 11- Heartbroken

"Haru!" Makoto screamed, running after Haru.

Haru cursed himself for being bad at running. He was the fastest in the waters, but on land, well, he's pretty much a fish out of water. It didn't take long until Makoto was able to catch up to Haru.

"Haru," Makoto panted, clinging onto Haru's wrist. "Please don't be mad. And please don't run away. I'm sorry that I can't feel the same towards you, I really do. If only you could-"

Oh dang, here comes the vomit.

No not literal vomit. But I wouldn't be surprised, I mean, Haru hasn't eat mackerel for days.

"If only you could understand what I'm saving you from!" Haru blurted. "If only you could see who really loves you and who doesn't. I SAW Haruhi kissing Tamaki. I saw her ENJOYING herself with Tamaki. She went to America with him! They went on a date together! A DATE. To America! Those 'host duties' Haruhi do? They're excuses so she can hang out with Tamaki! She doesn't love you, she loves Tamaki!"

"Haru this can't be true I-"

"And you know who loves you? You know who truly loves you? Me. I loved you ever since I laid my eyes on you, I just didn't realize it yet. Yet you're to busy being straight and stupid to understand!"

"Haru..." Makoto released Haru's wrist in shock.

What have I done? Haru began to feel guilt and regret. He fearfully looked into Makoto's eyes. The two green eyes that stared in return were stained with disappointed and betrayal. 

I made Makoto worry. I don't... I don't deserve him.

Breaking the tension, Haru turned around and bolted. He didn't know where he was going. In fact, he wasn't even looking. He could hear Makoto shouting his name, along with...

A really loud boom. Was it... was it thunder?

The sky darkened by the time Haru reached the docks. He kept running, past the docks, going the way he and Makoto would go to school. But he wasn't actually going to school. He didn't know where he was going.

A few blocks before Haru reached the school, he felt drops of water falling on his skin. Usually he would stop and enjoy the feel of the rain, but now wasn't the time. He knew that when Makoto caught up, he would be in trouble. The light shower quickly turned into a downpour.

Haru knew Makoto trusted him with all his heart. Yet, he had a feeling that Makoto wouldn't be so happy this time. Haru was playing with Makoto's heart, and even though Haru was telling the truth, people get blinded by love.

If Makoto was running after Haru and calling his name, that must mean that he does love Haru enough to want him back, right? Perhaps Haru is overthinking the situation?

Haru took a sharp turn and slipped on the puddle of water. Thankfully, he caught himself and continued running. Makoto, who was being extremely careful to not slip, was falling behind.

By this rate Makoto will never catch up to me, Haru stopped to rest for a while, enough to catch his breath. He got up and started running when he heard Makoto's voice call his name once more.

"Haru! Haru!" Makoto called, his voice running out of breath.

It pained Haru to hear Makoto's voice. It sounded so broken, so hurt. The faster Haru ran away from Makoto, the faster he didn't have to hear his name being called.

Haru heard Makoto scream as he took another turn.

He probably got tired of running. That's good. So am I.

Haru stopped to listen to the sounds around him. All he heard was the pounding sound of the rain, and his own breath. No Makoto shouting his name.

No Makoto.

But it wasn't Makoto's nature to give up so quickly. Makoto was that type of person that always had his eyes set on his target, never letting anything interfere with him besides the target itself. Makoto would only stop chasing Haru if Haru told him to stop, but Haru didn't. 

Maybe because Haru was enjoying the attention?

After catching his breath, which took about a few seconds, Haru began to worry. Makoto wasn't calling his name. Makoto wasn't with him. What happened to him?

He probably went home, nothing to worry about... nothing to..

If only Haru believed himself. 

"Makoto! Makoto!" Haru shouted, running back the way he came from. "Makoto!"

In the mist of the rain, Haru could see a muscular figure on the ground.

"Makoto!" Haru gasped, running over to the man.

"Hey... Haru," Makoto gave Haru a weak smile.

Haru looked down and noticed that Makoto was clutching onto his ankle, which didn't look right.

"Does it hurt?" Haru asked, careful to not touch Makoto's ankle.

"If I move it, yea..."

"It's not bleeding, that's good."

"Can you... Can you call the ambulance?"

"Right." Haru grabbed  Makoto's phone, because he never brought his own, and called the police.

After relaying the information, Haru ended the call and placed the phone in Makoto's pocket.

"The police and ambulance will be here soon," Haru hugged Makoto. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to give you any harm. I was only thinking about myself at the time, I didn't mean for it to end like this. I'm so dumb. I-"

Makoto laid a finger on Haru's lips. "Shh, it's fine. It's not like I got ran over by a car. I just tripped. Perhaps I'll have some surgery and I'll be up and running in no time!" 

"But you're in pain!"

"If I don't move it..."

"I hurt you."

"Haru it's fine! Besides," Makoto rested his head in Haru's damp shirt. "I've loved you and I always have."

Haru gawked. Surely Makoto wouldn't be joking at a time like this?

"Why do you think I've always been here by your side all this time? Out of all of the people I could choose, I chose you. I looked past the ignorant, anti-social part of you, and found passion. I loved you ever since grade school. However," Makoto sighed. "You looked more interested in water than humans. Besides, even if you were into humans, you weren't into men. And even if you were into men, you seemed to adore Rin so much more. I tried and I tried to capture your attention, but I knew I would never give you that 'spark'."

"Somebody from college told me that I should move on," Makoto continued. "But how could I move on from a boy I adored for over twenty years? Then, I found Haruhi. You both share the same traits, not caring about love, yet passionate, innocent, and even the same name! Although it looked like I truly loved Haru-chan, my heart still belonged to you. But I couldn't let anybody know, I thought Haruhi might get mad that I never truly loved her. That's why..."

Makoto was interrupted by the wailing sirens from the police and ambulance trucks.

"But apparently she's been cheating on me, so I guess I don't have to keep it a secret any longer." Makoto quickly finished. "Haru, I love you."

"I love-" However, Haru was interrupted by the men that came out and took Makoto away from him. Haru watched as the ambulance drove away. He stayed back to talk to the police on what happened.

If only their confession wasn't interrupted. But at least Makoto didn't die, right?