Chapter 6- Haru's Memories

I remember every year we'd go to the annual festival at our town. When middle school came around, we started holding hands, despite the many times I told Makoto not to. I remember Nagisa and Rei laughing at us when they saw us holding hands during the festival. Of course, we didn't care. I never put much thought to it, but perhaps Makoto did like me back then?

This year was the very first year I went by myself.

I remember every day, after school, after our swim club, Makoto and I would walk home, together. If it was really late, Makoto would wiggle his hand into mine. It was so comfortable, having Makoto hold my hand, especially when it was cold. And Makoto's voice, was so soothing. It made me so happy hearing it as we walked home together. Makoto loved talking to me, perhaps he loved me as well?

This year was the very first year I walked home myself.

Every year, as the weather abruptly changed from summer to winter, I caught a cold. Mostly because I couldn't understand why I couldn't continue swimming. Makoto was always there, taking care of me. He even skipped school, so he could watch me 24/7. It didn't have to be a cold, if I got a fever or some other sickness, Makoto was always there for me, cooking soup, giving me tissues, and of course, his encouraging words.

This year was the very first year I had to take care of myself.

I remember the hand that reached for me, that guided me upwards. That hand was always there for me, picking me up. The hand that pulled me from the water, back into reality. Everyday, Makoto's hand would give me his hand, helping me up. His hand was so warm and soft. Perhaps Makoto did love me?

This year was the first year I had to pull up myself.

This year, was the very first year I didn't have Makoto.

It made Haru realize how much Makoto meant to him. One year was one year too many, and Haru knew that he couldn't live the rest of his life without him. He had to do something.

He needed Makoto.

--

"Did you and Makoto get into a fight?" Rin snapped Haru out of his thoughts.

Haru opened his eyes, finding himself face to face with Rin, who was squatting next to the bed.

"The last time I saw Rin's bed this wet was when-" Gou remarked.

"NOT NOW." Rin blushed.

Haru touched the bed. This was the first time he had a good cry. Now that the memories were behind him, he felt a bit better.

"Here," Rin got up and tossed Haru a box of tissues.

Gou smiled and placed a hot bowl of soup on the nightstand.

"Th-anks..." Haru's voice cracked.

Haru picked up the tray and began drinking the bowl of soup. It tasted good...really good. Alas, the only thing Haru found delicious was mackerel, so it wasn't a surprise that it was mackerel soup.

"You'll feel better if you just tell me," Rin dabbed the tissues on Haru's cheeks.

Who knew Rin was such a caring person? Must have been influenced by Gou.

"Makoto got a girlfriend."

"What?!"

Haru took a pillow and stuffed it in his face.

"Haru..." Rin took the tray from Haru's lap. "I'm sorry."

Although Rin didn't know that Haru liked Makoto, he did know that relationships ended friendships. Rin knew that Makoto would slowly leave Haru, little by little, and sooner or later, they would no longer be the best friends that could read each other's minds. It must've already taken effect, seeing how Haru was so lonely and upset.