Chapter 8

She cried for her mom, her dad, and Chuck.

Alice wasn't sure how long she cried for. She knew it must have been a long time. She had cried so much no tears came. All the tears she was capable of shedding had been shed. Her throat was completely raw. She coughed out her sobs.

Newt approached Alice slowly until he heard her sobs. He ran up to Alice and quickly asked, "Hey Alice, you okay?" As he did so her patted her back.

"N-nothing," Alice stuttered. She could barely get the words out. She pulled her hands away from her chest. She stood up shakily still clutching her small wooden bird in her hand.

Newt noticing the girl's tightly wrapped fist questioned, "What is that your holding?"

"N-nothing," Alice stammered. She couldn't help but cry, tearless and silent. Alice didn't want to tell anyone about the dreams she was having. The memories she was reliving.

Newt, seeing as though the question made Alice cry more, tried to change the subject. "Hey, you look a little dehydrated, let's go get you some water.. And breakfast," Newt's voice trailed off, though his tone of concern not faltering.

Alice's throat was so raw she couldn't speak anymore. She simply nodded her head and followed newt to the boys who were sitting down to start breakfast.

It was there Alice learned that you could make requests to the box. The boys told stories of other things.

They tried to help cheer Alice up, but it was no use. Alice was ignoring them at that point. She was off in her own little world. She was making a plan. She was drafting out her request in her head.

Newt's voice finally brought Alice back to reality. "Alice? You okay there? You seem a little spacey today," Newt asked. You could hear the concern in his voice.

"I'm fine," Alice bit out. It hurt though. Her throat was still raw.

"Anyways, the box is coming tomorrow," Minho said poking his way into the conversation.

Alice saw this as the perfect time to send in her request. She quickly said, "I've gotta do something really quick, I will be right back." Before anyone could object she was already gone.

She quickly got dressed and found a piece of paper and a pen on the floor. She scribbled as fast and legibly as humanly possible for her.

Dear whoever is reading this,

I have a request to make of "the box". I want to have a way of knowing if my parents and Chuck okay. Maybe a means of communication, I don't know. If it's you mom or dad reading this, I love you! Tell Chuck I miss him!
Yours Truly,
-Alice

After finishing writing her note she ran towards the box. She knew that the box was what the gladers called the elevator like thing she had woken up and arrived in. She gently and barely pulled open one of the two, fairly large metal doors.

Alice placed a small kiss on the piece of paper and let go. She watched the paper float downwards gracefully. She stared until it disappeared from her vision. She closed the door even more gently than she had before.

"Please let this work," Alice whispered before walking back to breakfast slowly and sulkily.