Chapter 23

She just got up and ready for the day as if nothing had happened.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No matter how hard she tried, the dream wouldn't leave her mind all day. She couldn't help, but wonder what drove her to that point in her dream. She couldn't shake to feeling of nervousness for the future.

She knew just who she needed right now. She needed to talk to her mother.

She, with Chuck in tow, went off to the forest and climbed their tree. Upon arrival Alice pulled the small cube from her back pocket. She pressed the small button and waited. Soon a projection of her mother came into view.

Alice's mother looked panicked. Her voice was shaky as she asked, "How are you dear?" Her mother looked as if she was going to cry.

Alice worried about her mother quickly asked, "I'm fine mom. Why do you sound as if you are about to cry?" Alice began to be consumed with worry. What could be so devastating to bring her mother to tears?

Alice then saw tears streaming down her mother's face. Alice comforted her mother as best as she could.

"What is wrong, Mom?" Alice tried once again for an answer.

Her mother dried her tears and cleared her throat. "It is nothing dear, I just need to come up with a plan to solve my problem," her mother's voice was still wobbly, but was calmer then before.

"If you tell us what is wrong we can help you find a solution!" Hearing Alice crave to help her so much hurt her mother even more.

"This, is a big problem, and it deals with you two, and I just can't have you two involved..." Her mother's voice trailed off.

"Mom, Chuck and I can handle anything, just let us help you," Alice was begging to help her mother, to lift some of the weight off of her shoulders.

"Fine.. If you really wish to know why I am so troubled, I will tell you... The other high maze officials have decided they need to create emotional turmoil in the maze. That was decided a while ago. But, at a meeting today, they decided just how they were going to go about it... They want to kill you two off..." Her mother's voice cracked at the end. The tears came down her face like a flood. Alice noticed how disheveled her mother appeared. It broke her heart.

"Wait, so to cause emotional turmoil, the rest of the board wants to kill Chuck and I?" Alice was in denial. She couldn't believe her ears. Both her mother and Chuck nodded solemnly.

Alice shakily stated, "We need a plan..."