Chapter 11

She quickly began her search for anything addressed specifically to her. Then she found it.

Alice found a sleek black box with a bright yellow sticky note attached to it. The sticky note said, "For Alice." The box fit in her hand almost perfectly. Before anyone could even see the box she shoved it in a separate pocket from the wooden bird.

She quickly helped empty the box with the other gladers, curiosity eating away at her the entire time. She simply wanted this task to be done so she could find out what was inside the box.

When they had finally finished the task, rather than Alice being able to disappear for a little while to open the box, everyone seemed to have the need to talk to her. This just annoyed Alice. Thus, by the time Newt came to talk to her, him being the third person to try to talk to her, she waved him off dismissively.

"We need to have a discussion," Newt said Placing his hand in Alice's shoulder keeping her from continuing to walk. She jerked out of his grasp and started walking away again ignoring Newt. Newt continued to persist.

"I just want to be left alone for a little while! Can't a girl get a bit of privacy and alone time! Leave me alone for like five minutes Newt!" Alice didn't mean to snap, but she was done. She just wanted to find out what was in the box. What the creators had sent her. Whether her wish had been granted.

Newt, seeing the flames of anger and frustration glow in Alice's eyes, simply shrugged and walked off, hands up in surrender. Alice relieved, walked into the forest and climbed a tree. Once close to the top she sat on a sturdy branch.

Alice took a deep breath and opened the box. Inside was a small silver cube. Alice could close her fist comfortably around the cube. It had some letters and numbers on the top written very small, presumably either a code or a serial number. There was a black screen above the numbers and letters.

Alice took the cube out of the box to further examine it. There was a small button on one side. On the other side there was no markings, buttons, switches or anything. All the sides had absolutely nothing on them beside the one with the screen, and the side with the button.

Alice, very curious of what the object did, pushed the button. A 3D projection of a woman from the waist up appeared. It took her a second, but she soon recognized the woman.

Alice whispered as she recognized the woman, "Mommy!"