Part 3

We walk up to the motorcycle shop as Pope is rambling on about how he got his first bike there when they invaded. I recognized it, the shop I mean. My dad and I used to come here so he could check out some things for his own motorcycle.

            “Alright let’s check the tanks, probably empty but you never know. Just the off roads; we don’t need any recliners on wheels.” Tom says to everyone.

            I grab a nice dark blue dirt bike in the corner and check the gas tanks. No surprise, it was empty and so were all the others.

            “They’re all empty.” I say checking another blue one.

            “There’s a repair bay back here. A couple of bikes and pieces. And some tanks of gas.” Dai says coming from the back.

            “Alright, Kali take Pope and see if you can find another tank of gas we can fill and take back with us.”

            “Okay, come on Pope.” I say. Pope walks by me grinning at me the entire time. I roll my eyes and we head to the back bay. When we get back there, I grab a pipe and an empty gas can and hand it to Pope.

            “So now I’m taking orders from the new queen of the Masons, huh.” Pope says taking the tank and pipe from me.

            “Shut up Pope, I’m not even related to them.” I shot back at him.

            “Oh, really? Then why are you always with them and share the same room with them? Is it just because they feel sorry for you or did they just have the room for an extra person.” Pope snickers and starts taking out the gas of one of the bikes.

            “Whatever, you just like getting on peoples nerves don’t you?” I glare at him.

            “I love it; it’s so funny watching them get pissed off.” Pope says from afar.

            “I bet.” I say. I hear nothing from Pope, not even a stupid ass comment. As I start to turn around, something slams into the back of my head. I squeal, there’s a sharp pain in my neck and as I start to black out, I hear the engine of a bike a few feet away from me. A few minutes later, I’m being rudely awakened by Hal and Tom.

            “Kali, Kali get up! What happened?” Hal says frantically. I start to get my vision back and see everyone crowded around me.

            “Huh, wh-what happened? Ahh.” I try to sit up but the pain in my neck is invigorating. I look around to find Pope only, he’s not there.

            “That bastard, Pope must’ve knocked me out. Where is he?” I say grabbing Hal’s hand as he pulls me up.

            “Don’t know. No wonder he wanted to help us, he was planning on bolting the whole time.” Hal says.

            “Well let’s just get the rest of the bikes and we’ll be on our way.” Tom says. We walk back to the front of the store and get four bikes going before we hear the boom.

            “That wasn’t good.” Anthony says. We run outside to see what it was and there’s a huge gray cloud about a half mile away.

            “What is that?” Hal says.

            “It looks like Popes work.” Tom says.

            “That’s going to draw some attention.” Hal says obviously.

            After we’re all done checking the rest of the bikes, Hal runs in after going to look for Pope.

            “You find Pope?” Tom asks Hal.

            “Only what he left behind. He blew up that Skitter nest.” Hal says breathing heavily.

            “Where’s your bike?” Dai asks.

             “I ditched it after I saw what was coming up the road. Kids, harnessed kids heading our way.” Hal says still panting. We look out the door and what do you know, a group of harnessed kids are walking up the hill with a bunch of guns. Anthony and I step out in the doorway, hoping to get a better view.

            “Awh man.” Anthony says lowering his weapon.

            “What do we do dad?” Hal asks.

            “Hold your fire.” Tom commands. The kids get closer but we aren’t seeing any Skitters or Mechs yet. “There must be a Skitter nearby. Guiding them, giving them orders.” Tom finishes saying.

            Suddenly, the kids open fire on us and we all take cover. I raise up my gun, ready to shoot bad when suddenly there’s a searing pain in my leg.

            “Ahh!” I fall backwards on the ground in the shop as Anthony pulls me behind the wall.

            “You okay?” Tom yells at me.

            “I’ve been better.” I say grimacing in pain.

            “What are we gonna do?” Hal says to Tom.

            “I don’t know.” Tom says.

            “Well do we shoot or what because I’m not shooting any kids.” I say holding my leg.

              “Just look for the Skitter controlling them. If we stop it maybe we can stop them.” Tom says. The kids lower their weapons as we look around for the Skitter. “They move together, they seem to only shoot when there’s a target.” Tom says. He looks around the room and sees the gas can and I can tell by the look on his face that he has an idea.