Part 19

“Hey Kali, you missed dinner. You alright?” I hear someone say. I open my eyes and see Ben looking down at me. I start to sit up but stop because my head hurt so much.

“I’m not feeling good so I decided to go to sleep early.” I say trying to look up at him through my pillow.

“Oh well I guess I’ll let you get your sleep.” He says starting to walk away. I reach for his hand and stop him.

“Wait, please stay. I can’t fall sleep and I don’t want to be alone.” I say. He nods and I let him go so he can shut the door. After he shuts it, he walks over to my cot and I move over to make room for him. He lies beside me and wraps his arm around my waist and grabs my hand. Because this cot is so small, we’re extremely close and I was close to falling off. But I didn’t care at the moment because I was trying my best to forget everything at the moment and fall asleep.

The next morning, I wake up still in the arms of Ben Mason. I look around the room and we're alone. Tom, Hal, and Matt must’ve left earlier because we were alone. Ben still has his arm around my waist and he’s still fast asleep. I decide to wake him up so we can make it to breakfast.

“Ben, hey wake up.” I say shaking his arm. He slowly opens his eyes moves his arm.

“Did we miss breakfast?” He asks rubbing his eyes. I laugh and sit up on the cot.

“We’re going to if we don’t get up.” I say. We get ready for the day and walk to breakfast. When we sit in our usual seats, no one says anything about Ben and me sleeping. I decide that it’d be best not to bring it up so we just talk about our regular topics.

Within a few hours, everyone hears Pope outside yelling out that he has a demonstration for us. We all walk out to see Pope standing on a box that’s facing a Mech head.

“What’s going on?” I ask Hal while walking up to him.

“I don’t know, Pope just said that he had to show everyone something.” Hal says. I shrug my shoulders and began to watch.

“So, the score’s Aliens one, humans zero. Hell, humans aren’t even on the board. Look at me when I’m talking to ya! Now the gangs all here, good. I do not wanna have to do this twice.” Pope says as Weaver and Tom walk out.

“You’re supposed to be making bombs Pope.” Captain Weaver points out.

“Yeah well ever heard of multi-tasking? It’s all under control.” Pope says.

“It better be, ‘cause I’m itching for a reason to put you back behind bars.” Weaver says.

“You know why we’re losing this war? Because the bad guys have us out gunned. It takes an entire magazine just to put a dent in one of them tin soldiers. May I?” Pope says asking for a soldier’s weapon. The soldier looks at Weaver for approval and he nods.

“Watch him.” Weaver says. Pope takes the gun from him and everyone else around raises their weapon. I snicker to myself when Pope looks at them. He starts to shoot at the Mech head without making any change to it.

“So that’s the way it’s been.” Pope says handing the soldier back his weapon. “But, there’s a new sheriff in town.” He raises up a bullet and hands another one to Weaver.

“It’s a standardized bullet only it’s got a Mech metal slug. Is that a 45’?” Pope asks the same soldier.

“Captain?” He asks Weaver.

“Go ahead.” Weaver says. Pope grabs the gun and takes out all the ammunition that’s already inside it. He replaced it with the Mech bullet and aims it at the head. He shoots the one bullet and it goes straight through the head. Everyone cheers and shouts suddenly at Popes one success to the 2nd Mass.

_____________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share! I would like some more comments about how the story is going so far.

2 Votes and 1 Comment for part 20!