Part 17

The next day, I decide to go see what Matt and Uncle Scott are up to. I walk in and see Matt still messing with the radio and Uncle Scott writing some schematics about the bombs.

            “Hey Uncle Scott, do you guys need any help?” I say sitting down next to Matt and across from Uncle Scott.

            “Well actually yeah, you’re pretty good at math right?” He says. I nod and he hands me the paper and a calculator.

            “If you can, figure these—“ He starts to say but we hear the door open. Pope and two other soldiers walk in.

            “What’s with the voltrola?” Pope asks rudely.

            “It’s a radio transmitter. Scouts found it in the community college and its pre-transistor types last forever.” Uncle Scott says.

            “Great and then maybe you can get MPR on that thing and we can bore the aliens to death.” Pope says walking over to another counter.

            “It’s not supposed to kill them.” Matt says.

            “Well I’m officially not interested but somebody’s got a death wish because these bomb makings are a joke.” Pope says picking up the papers on the counter.

            “Hey, hey hey hey.” Uncle Scott says taking the papers from him.

            “Look at this crap, these ratios are all wrong.” Pope says.

            “Listen, you may have sold the Kernel you know but I am not buying this goatee mess, guys like you don’t stick their necks out for nothing.” Uncle Scott says.

            “Well that’s where you’re wrong Scotty boy. See this is all about me there’s nothing I love more than killing Skitters except not blowing my head off while doing it.” Pope says.

            “Well I never claimed to be a demolition expert.” Uncle Scott says.

            “Well you’re not one much on housekeeping either. This is one hell of a Mech collection you’ve got here.” Pope says walking over to the other table I stand up and walk behind Uncle Scott along with Matt. Scott takes off a sheet that was covering what looks like a Mech gun.

            “Our bullets just bounce and theirs, I don’t know they can just rip right through an engine block. So I thought I would just crack this one open and--” Uncle Scott starts to say as he pulls out a screwdriver. He starts stabbing at the gun and suddenly, it starts to light up and make noise.  And just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse, the gun blows a hole through the wall. The soldiers come in with their guns raised. I look at Matt who is just standing there, stunned.

            “It’s okay, hey Matt, Matt—“ Uncle Scott starts to say. Matt backs away slowly then runs out of the room. I try to call him but he’s already gone.

            “We’re off to a hell of a start. Why don’t you roll radio free up there in the hallway and let me play around with the hard stuff.” Pope says to Scott while they examine the wall. I walk out of the room, hoping to find Matt somewhere but I don’t see him. I walk to the infirmary hoping to find him but I only see Lourdes.

            “Hey Lourdes, have you seen Matt? He ran out of Uncle Scotts room and I haven’t seen him since.” I say through the door.

            “No I haven’t sorry.” She says I nod and start to walk away but she calls my name.

            “Hey Kali, umm can I talk to you about something?” Lourdes says.

            “Sure.” I say. I walk in and close the door behind me.

            “Umm well something’s been bugging me and I need to tell someone. You promise not to tell anyone unless I tell you to?” She asks walking behind the counter. I nod and lean against the counter with my arms crossed on it.

            “Okay so, a few weeks ago, Captain Weaver asked me to write him a prescription to help him sleep. And then a few days after that, he asked for some that help him wake up. Now I looked at the side effects and the severe ones are pretty bad. You’ve noticed how he’s been acting right?” She says. I think for a moment.

            “Yeah I have. Do you still have the bottles?” I ask. She nods and we walk over to the medicine cabinet. She kneels down and grabs them, hands them to me and I look at the side effects.

            “Hmm, yeah these definitely describe why he’s been acting this way. Maybe we should tell Anne or Tom; before Weaver does something crazy and get’s us all killed.” I say handing her back the bottles. She agrees and says that she’ll call me when she tells them. I walk back to my room and pick up my “City of Bones” book and start reading. About two hours later, I hear someone come in and slam the door shut.

_________________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share! Also the next part will be a little more interesting that this one :)

2 Votes and 1 Comment for Part 17!