Part 8

. We walk to go load up for tonight and within a few hours, we’re hiding a couple hundred yards from the ER entrance behind two cars. Behind the truck, Tom is going over the plan with Hal while Dai, Anthony and I are behind the SUV. Hal comes over beside me, about to run when I stop him.           

            “Hey, puke pit. Bring back Ben and don’t get killed alright?” I say.

            “Don’t worry little sis, I’ll get him back.” He stands up, ruffles my hair and runs into the hospital right before the Mech comes back. About 20 minutes later, Tom takes Allie and me in the hospital to go look for them. Everyone runs behind a van parked right in front of the ER.

            “You got a plan boss?” Allie asks Tom.

            “If I can get to Ben’s room I might be able to find another entrance.” Tom says. Just then, we hear the Mech directly on the other side of the van. We all run to the backside of the van.

            “Okay, I know another way.” Allie says.

            “Show me, Kali come with us. You guys stay here, wait for the signal.” Tom says. I nod and we run into another door and start to go through the halls looking for Ben’s room and Hal. We turn left on the south corridor and head straight down to Ben’s room.

            Suddenly, we hear the Skitter crying out as we enter the room. Tom tries to shoot it with the cross bow and I try to get an angle on my bow but they keep thrashing around too much. The Skitter pushes Hal down on the ground and Tom and I both shoot an arrow at it. Hal stands back up, pushes it to the ground and finally everything is quiet. We all lower our weapons and Tom runs to Hal. I just stand for a moment until the others outside open the window.

            “We gotta go.” Allie says walking in. I hop out of the window and help pull the kids out of the room. Soon we’re driving everyone back to the school and are loading all the kids into the infirmary. Tom and I stay to help with the unharnessing process and start with Ben. Tom lays Ben on the table and we get ready to take his harness off.

             “Tom, you might not wanna be here.” Anne says.

            “No this is exactly where I wanna be.” Tom says. I take off my coat and bow and set them down on the ground in the corner. I tie my hair up in a ponytail and help Lourdes with Ben.

            “Blood pressure?” Anne asks.

            “110/70.” Lourdes says. Anne gets the blow torch while Tom and I struggle to pull the harness up.

            “Something’s happening; his pressure’s dropping.” Lourdes says.

            “This one’s pulse is dropping too.”Uncle Scott says from afar.

            “Hang on.” Tom says. We finally pull the harness off and lay Ben on a stretcher to get the next kid on the table. I help them load the next person and let Tom and another soldier take that one. I walk over to the other kids and check their pulses with Uncle Scott.

            “This one’s pulse is dropping! We need to get him to the table.” I say while checking one boys pulse. Two other men pick him up to the table and I go to check on the other kids.

            I hear Anne telling Tom to turn the boy over. The boy had stopped breathing so she starts to do CPR on him. After a minute or so, Tom tells Anne that he’s not getting a pulse. Anne keeps going.

            “Anne, he’s gone. Anne.” Tom says. He grabs her hands to stop her and she steps down.

            “I-I don’t know what went wrong.” Anne says. Lourdes shuts the boys’ eyes and I look away. Tom and I walk over to Ben while Anne walks out.

            “Anne, you saved five.” Tom tells her.

            “I lost one.” She says. She walks out and I kneel beside Ben and look up at Tom. He looks at me then grabs Ben’s hand.

            “Stay with him, will you Kali?” He says. I nod and pull up a chair beside him. Tom walks outside and I guess he’s going to try to talk to Anne. I grab Ben’s hand and rest my head on the stretcher.

            “Ben, please wake up.” I whisper to myself over and over again until Lourdes asks me to help her clean up. After cleaning up a little bit, Tom, Hal, and Matt come in to visit Ben. Hal walks over to the sink to get a towel and bowl of water. We walk over to Ben and I pull up a chair to sit down. While Hal cleans up the spikes on his back, Tom comes in so I get up and sit on the cot with Hal. Matt sits on Toms lap until he gets up to go talk to Anne.

            “Do you think he’s going to be okay?” Matt asks Hal and I. He goes to sit on Hals lap while grab his hand and look at Ben.

            I smile and look back at Matt, “He’s going to be just fine.” I say. I scoot closer to them and lay my head on Hals shoulder. I’m just about to fall asleep when Hal wakes me up.

            “Dad!” Hal says to Tom. I go on the other side of the cot and kneel next to Ben as he is waking up. Tom comes over beside me and Ben looks at all of us.

            “Dad?” Ben says waking up.

            “It’s me. It’s me.” Tom says smiling. Ben looks at the rest of us and lays his head back down to fall asleep. I cover my mouth because I’m about to cry and smile like an idiot at the same time.

_________________________________________________ Please comment, vote, and share this! I'd really like some feedback about it whether you like the story or not!