Part 16

The next day, I go to lunch and Hal comes right up to my spot in line asking me to talk. I grab my plate of food and follow him in the hallway.

            “What’s wrong?” I ask him while taking a big bite of corn.

            “It’s Ben. I found him the morning behind a school bus jump roping.” Hal says concerned. I just raise my eyebrows at him.

            “So? What’s the big deal? He’s just jump roping.” I say taking another bite of my corn.

            “That’s not the problem. I looked at the timer he had and it said two hours and forty minutes.” Hal says. I stop eating and look at him.

            “Two hours and forty minutes? Really? Are you sure he didn’t just accidently hit it like two and a half hours ago?” I say throwing my plate away in the trash can. We start walking down the hallway and just keep talking.

            “Well he said that he must’ve hit it on the way up there but that still doesn’t explain how he could’ve went that long. Well I just wanted to tell you, I gotta go get ready for sentry duty.” Hal says running off. I wave at him and go find Allie. I look all around but I finally find her in the infirmary with Sarah and Charlotte.

            “Hi Kali.” Sarah says. She smiles down at Charlotte in her arms. Allie is over by the sink washing out some baby clothes.

            “Hey, I was wondering if I could maybe steal Allie from you for a while.” I say politely walking up to Sarah and Charlotte. “Hi miss Charlotte. Oh Sarah she’s beautiful.” I say. I stick my finger out at Charlotte and she grabs it with her little hand. I laugh quietly and Allie comes over wiping her hands dry.

            “She’s adorable isn’t she?” Allie says.

            “She is. Can I…?” I motion to Sarah. She holds her arms out with Charlotte and I take her. I make sure to hold her head up since she’s so young. She looks just like Sarah; all except for her eyes. Her eyes are a bright green and huge.

            “Her eyes are so pretty. You know Sarah, if you ever want a little time to yourself, I’ll babysit for you. I love little kids.” I say looking back and forth between them.         

            “I’ll keep that in mind Kali.” Sarah says sweetly. I hear someone walk in and turn around.

            “Oh, hey Ben.” I say. He walks in and looks around the room.

            “Hey have you seen Anne?” He says walking over to us.

            “Yeah she went to talk to Uncle Scott. Why?” Allie says answering him.

            “Just wondering. Is this Charlotte?” He says walking closer to me and Charlotte. I nod and glance him.

            “She’s so cute. Wow Kali, you really like babies don’t you?” He says to me. I look at him and smile.

            “Yeah.” I look back down at little Charlotte. I give her back to her mom and Allie, Ben and I leave the infirmary.

            “You really liked holding that kid didn’t you?” Allie asks me. I nod.

            “Yeah, I’ve always loved little kids. I used to babysit a lot so I’ve gotten used to them.” I say.

            “Yeah, when she wasn’t over at our house, she was babysitting. Or practicing archery, singing, or—“ Ben starts saying.

            “You sing?” Allie says.

            “Yeah I mean I like to. I kind of stopped when the invasion happened. I haven’t done it in a long time.” I say. We turn the corner and start walking to Uncle Scotts room.

            “Well she was amazing at it. Ah, there’s Anne. I’ll catch you guys later.” Ben says leaving.

            “Ooooh Kali, you hear that? He said you had an amazing voice!” Allie says bumping my shoulder with her arm. I blush a little and look ahead at Ben. He and Anne start walking down the hallway into another room.

            “Yeah yeah whatever. Well I came to get you for sentry duty. Sorry but I volunteered to take Hals place. I decided that we needed to talk about some things.” I say. She just agrees and we ride off on our dirt bikes.

            A few hours, we come back to have dinner and right after dinner, I decide to head in for the night. I go in the room and hear Matt, Tom, and Ben talking about something. I walk in, say goodnight and fall face down on my cot. I hear them laugh and I just roll over on my side. After a few minutes of hearing them laugh and talk, they go to their own cots and lay down.

            I open my eyes a tiny bit and see Ben on his own cot looking at me. I don’t move at first to wait and see how long it lasts. After a minute or so, I pretend to start to open my eyes and yawn and I see him quickly close his eyes. I silently laugh to myself and start to fall back asleep.

_________________________________________________

Really boring chapter but whatever. Please comment, vote, and share :)

So really I only know like two peoples opinoins on this so I'd like to know everyones soo please comment what you think :)

2 Votes & 1 Comment for Part 17