Part 20

Saturday night, Uncle Scott tells everyone that he found a projector and a way to play some cartoons. Everyone gathers up in the gym and we take a seat while he sets it up. I sit on the end of Hal, Ben and Matt right beside the little walkway. Scott turns on the projector and the movie starts. Everyone is laughing at the corny/funny jokes.

            Within thirty minutes of the movie, everyone is close to not being able to breathe so I try catch my breath. I’ve never seen this cartoon before to be honest. The only thing close to this that I know of is the really old Mickey Mouse ones and a bunch of other Popeye type shows. I’ve always loved old timed shows and this one is pretty old.

            After another hour or so, the movie ends and everyone go back to their rooms for the night. I try to fall asleep as best as I can but after what seemed to be thirty minutes of lying in bed wide awake, I decide to go talk to Lourdes.

            “Hey Lourdes, is anyone else here?” I ask walking in the infirmary. She shakes her head.

            “Well I was wondering if we should tell Anne and Tom about Weaver. He’s been getting worse and they deserve to know.” I say. She starts to say something but is cut off when we hear someone walk up behind us.

            “What do Tom and I deserve to know?” Anne says. I freeze and look at Lourdes who is just as surprised as I am.

            “Umm, we were just uh—“ I say nervously looking between them.

            “Uh, well we were talking about something that Weaver said to me.” Lourdes says. Anne looks at us weird and we sigh and begin to tell her everything. Anne just nods and says she’s going to go get Tom real quick. Anne leaves and Lourdes and I wait for them to get back. After a few minutes, Anne and Tom show up.

            “Lourdes, Kali, tell Tom what you guys told me.” Anne says.

            “Uh, it’s Captain Weaver. I heard what you were saying about him earlier and he came to me a couple weeks ago and asked me to help him with some medications.” Lourdes says.

            “Prescribed by your old friend Dr. Harris.” Anne says to Tom.

            “Yeah he said he came to me because he didn’t want to bother Dr. Glass.” Lourdes says.

            “Because he knew I’d ask questions.” Anne says.

            “Okay, umm, what kind of medications?” Tom asks.

            “Phenobarbital, for sleep and amphetamines to wake up. It’s a classic addictive cycle. And once you start it’s hard to stop.” Anne says.

            “What would that, what would that do to him?” Tom asks.

            “Depends on how many he’s taking; one or two a day probably nothing.” Anne says.

            “And more?” Tom says.

            “The symptoms could be extreme, paranoia, mood swings, even hallucinations. Tom if Weaver’s abusing these drugs, there’s a good chance that what you saw in Boston, that could happen again.” Anne says. Tom thinks it over and thanks us for telling him. He and I say goodbye and go back to our room for the night.

            The next day, I go to see Matt who is working with Pope on the Mech bullets. Even though Tom said that he wasn’t allowed to be around him, he’s still helping him. I walk in the bullet workshop and hear Pope hollering at everyone and arguing with Anthony. I walk over to sit beside Matt.

            “Hey what are you doing here? I thought dad said you weren’t allowed to be near Pope.” I ask Matt. He looks up from shining the bullets at me.

            “I know but I really wanted to help him. It was my idea in the first place to make these.” Matt says in his defense. Suddenly Pope walks over to us.

            “No no no, kid look you don’t need to polish or do a shine like that. When it comes to Mech ammo, it’s quantity not quality.” Pope says. Matt slams the bullet into the tray with the others. “You sure your old man was talking about me?” Pope asks him.

            “He said stay away from Pope.” Matt says grabbing another bullet.

            “Great, so suddenly I’m a beneficiary of some pre-adolescent rebellion streak.” Pope says.

            “He keeps treating me like this little kid, like I can’t do anything. But I wanna help too. Besides, I am staying away from you just not that far.” Matt says.

            “You sound like one of my attorneys. Ahh, I guess, what’s the big deal I mean it’s not like Pops is going to do anything to little Prince of the 2nd Mass.” Pope says. Matt slams the bullet into the container.

            “I’m not a prince!” Matt snaps back at him.

            “You’re not the only one, there’s two other little princelets and the princess right there.” Pop says.

            “Hey—“ I start to say but he cuts me off.

             “But you’re the youngest that makes you special. So what’s it like, walking around with that sweet Mason brand?” Pope says to Matt.

            “What’s it like, having hair like a girl?” Matt says back. I bite my lip to hide my laugh. Pope glares at Matt who slowly backs away.

            “You’re gonna have to work on your insults kid.” Pope says laughing. “Come on, andela, andela!” Pope says walking over to the other people making the slugs.

            “Haha nice one Matty. I gotta go, I’ll see you later okay?” I say to Matt while standing up.

            “Okay,” He reaches towards me and hugs me. I let go say goodbye to him and Anthony on my way out. I make my way to Uncle Scotts room, to see if he needs any help with anything.

_________________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share!

I apologize for the lack of romance between Kali and Ben but I'm really just getting the story started and if you guys really like it, then the sequel will have MUCH more romance in it :)

2 Votes & 1 Comment for Part 21!