Part 6

When we get back, Jimmy tells us that Dr. Harris was killed by the Skitter that Tom captured. I go the infirmary to check on Anne and the Skitter.

            “Hey Anne are you alright? I heard what happened to Dr. Harris.” I say to her. She’s standing in front of the gate where the Skitter is standing.

            “Yeah I’m fine. Captain Weaver only gave me 24 hours to study it. So I’m trying to figure out a way to communicate with it. How’s your leg?” Anne says walking me over to a stretcher.

            “It’s fine. Can I walk on it now? Or do I have to keep using these stupid crutches? Because frankly, the only thing they’re good at is hitting people with in my opinion.” I say. Anne laughs and unwraps the wrap on my leg. She looks it and checks it out.

            “Yeah you’re fine, just don’t be too hard on it for a while or you could do some serious damage.” Anne says while getting the supplies to clean and wrap up my wound again.

            “Okay. Can I ask you something?” I say.

            “Sure, what’s up?” She says.

            “When we get Ben and the other kids, can I help you get their harnesses off?” I say wincing as she wraps up my leg.

            “Are you sure? Because it can get pretty gruesome.” Anne says. I nod my head and she shrugs her shoulders.

            “Alright, if you really want to. Now I’m going to give you two now but tomorrow come back and I’ll give you some more before your mission to get the kids.”

            I nod and tell her thank you on my way out the door. I limp to my room and find Hal and Matt asleep on Matt’s cot. He must’ve had a nightmare or something. I soon fall asleep to the sound of our breathing and crickets on the outside of the school.

∞∞∞∞∞

            The next morning, Allie and I are walking in the hallway talking about random things when Lourdes comes up from behind us.

            “Hey Allie, Kali, I wanted to invite you guys to the baby shower we’re hosting for Sarah.” Lourdes says. She shifts the box in her hands that has a bear, baby blanket, and a bouquet of wild flowers.

            “Sure, I don’t see why not.” I say to Lourdes.

            “Sarah, yeah I just met her. I’ll pass.” Allie says.

            “Aww come on Allie, why not? I mean what’s the worst that could happen?” I say trying to convince her.

            “And I think Sarah would really like it if you came.” Lourdes adds in.

            “Yeah well I’m a little busy with this whole ‘war’ thing so.” Allie says. I sigh and put my hand on her shoulder.

            “Allie come on, it’s not like there won’t be other wars or missions. And besides, there probably won’t be another baby shower for quite some time.” I say. She sighs and agrees to come.

            “Alright well I’ll see you two later; I gotta go talk to Hal. See ya.” I say. I go to our room and find Hal sitting on his bed, looking at the Six Flags photo.

            “Hey I need to talk to you about something.” I say sitting on the cot across from him.

            “Sure what’s up Mayflower?” Hal says grinning.

            “Haha I’m serious. You know the plan about the whole one person going in alone to get Ben? Well since most of the soldiers are adults and can be easily noticed, I was thinking if someone our age went in. I mean we would be totally invisible for the most part.” I say to him. He thinks for a moment and scratches his neck.

            “You mean like if they had a harness on, we would look just like the other kids.”He says thinking.

            “Yeah and we could easily kill the Skitter in its sleep. Only one problem though; how are we supposed to sneak a cross bow in if we’re trying to be a harnessed kid?” I say.

            “I don’t know, but let’s go tell dad and Weaver.” Hal says. We walk in on dad in and Captain Weaver talking in his office.

            “Hey dad, Kali had an idea about the plan.” Hal says interrupting their conversation.

_________________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share and i'd like any type of feedback at all about how the story is!(: