Part 4

Tom gets a bottle full of gas, a piece of cloth, and lights it up. He throws it under the truck that’s out in the parking lot         and it automatically blows up. While the kids are shooting at the truck, Hal, Dai, and Anthony drive out of there while Tom and I are still trying to get the one bike started. Once we got it started, that’s when I noticed it.

            “Umm Tom, I think we found the Skitter!” I yell at Tom. He starts to shoot it then drives off. After we pass the Skitter, it closes up behind us and I take out Tom’s shotgun and blow its head off its spider body. We stop in the grass to turn around and look at the kids who are just standing there, looking confused by all means.

            “What about those kids?” I ask Tom.

            “Next time.” He answers. I just nod and we drive all the way back to the 2nd Mass.

            Once we get there that night, Hal carries me to the infirmary so Anne can fix up my leg. After an hour or two, Anne gets the bullet fragments out and I’m knocked out for another hour or so until I hear Matt running towards me, screaming my name.

            “Kali! Kali!” Matt yells in my ear as he comes up to hug me.

            “Hey Matty, I told you we’d be back. How was school?” I say letting go of him. I make room on the bed for him to lie beside me.

            “It was boring as usual. What about getting shot in the leg? Was it awesome? Did it hurt?” He says excitedly. I just laugh.

            “Haha yes it did hurt and it was kind of awesome I have to admit. That was my first time ever of getting shot. And I certainly hope it’ll be the last time because like I said, it really hurt.” We laugh and for a while, we talk until he has to go back to Uncle Scott and I’m left alone in the infirmary.

            I start to fall asleep but I over hear Anne and Tom talking about Matt and his new ‘job’. The dinner bell finally rings and I call over to Anne.

            “Anne, am I aloud to go eat dinner? I’m starving!” I say as I’m about to stand up but she stops me.

            “Don’t you dare put weight on that leg missy! Let me get you some crutches before you do anything else that endangers your leg.” Anne says walking over to me with some crutches. I hear Tom laughing in the background as I stand up on the crutches.

            “Thank you. Now if you don’t mind I’d like to go eat whatever disgustingly amazing food they have for us this evening.” I say spinning around on my crutches. Anne and Tom follow behind me laughing at my comment. We get to the lunch room and Matt runs over to us with something in his hand.

            “Hey Dad, Kali check this out!” Matt says.     

            “Is that real bread? I haven’t tasted fresh baked bread in months.” Tom asks.

            “Yeah it’s a farewell gift from Pope. He’s a liar and a deserter but the son of a bitch can cook.” Allie says coming up from behind us.

            “Dad, Kali come on!” Matt says to us. We get our food and walk over to the table where Lourdes is sitting and praying before she eats.

            “Dear God, we thank you for this meal and this safe place we live in. We know not everyone is as lucky as we are tonight.” Lourdes finishes her prayer.

            “You really think we’re lucky?” Weaver says to Lourdes.

            “Yeah I think we can still appreciate what we have in our life. Even now. “ Lourdes says.

            “I’m thankful for the motorcycles. And the chance we have to bring back the people we love.” Hal says coming out of nowhere.

            “And I’m grateful we found each other. So we don’t have to go through these times alone.” Anne says.

            “I’m thankful for the family that we’ve grown into.” I say smiling.

            “Well I’m grateful for this bread. Even if it did come from Pope. How about it Dai, worth the trip?” Tom says.

             “Yeah it was. Dai is high as a freaking kite. He is loving this bread.” Dai says. Everyone laughs at his joke.

            “Dai speaks about himself in a third person now?” Weaver says.

            “Yes, Dai does.” Dai says.

             “Did you get some of that bread captain?” Anne asks Weaver.

            “Oh I will.” He says. Tom hands him a piece of his own bread and he eats it. “Hmm, not bad.” Weaver says while chewing on the bread.

            I hear Anne tell Lourdes that she should say something again. She takes Anne’s hand who takes mine. We hold our hands out waiting for everyone else to do the same. After everyone is holding hands, Lourdes says the dinner prayer.

            “Heavenly father, thank you for everything you’ve given us. And especially for our connection to each other. May we be truly thankful. And in the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit, amen.” After we’re done eating dinner, everyone heads back to their rooms to get some sleep before the next day. For a while, I lay in my bed thinking about what’s going with Ben and the Skitters right now.

            I have so many questions that my head actually started to hurt. I know I think a lot about Ben, it’s just that he never really leaves my mind. I’m always wondering if he’s okay, or if he’s even alive still. If we don’t rescue him soon, I’m afraid we might lose him before we even get to him. Well for right now I really need to get some sleep, tomorrow we plan to get Ben.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Please comment and vote if you like it! I'd really like any type of feedback :)

Also, follow me on Twitter @kalimay44 I'll follow back!