Trinity Blue Grant

STAR CITY

JULY 19, 8:07 PDT

"So let me get this straight kid: you want me to be your legal guardian?" He pauses in his workout to glance over his shoulder at Ephyra. "And this sprouted up with the need for a normal name?"

Ted delivered three jabs to a punching bag before adding a right hook, causing it to swing to the left harshly at the force. He grabs it as it swings back before holding it, as he gives Ephyra a look. "I hope this doesn't have anything to do with that...friend of yours," he says disapprovingly.

"See? This is why I asked. I don't know how much Dinah has told you about how I was found and what I am exactly, but I basically was born and lived in a pod all my life until a couple weeks ago. That pod has given me simulations and images – in my mind of course – that allow me to know what certain things are. And from what I understand, you're a perfect example of what they've shown to be a father. You're already protective of me, despite knowing me for a couple days. Not to mention you keep forgetting that my friend isn't interested in me, in that way." She explains.

He scowls at her and she grins, "I could even say I get my scowls from you."

He tries to keep a sour look, before letting it disappear and laughing a bit. "Alright, alright kid." He walks over to her where she sits on the bench across from him. "Before I give an answer, are you going to tell me why you suddenly want a guardian?"

She sighs as he takes a swig of his water bottle. "Well...Superboy and I were the only ones without names amongst the team."

Ted nodded a bit, "Dinah mentioned the younger members had formed a covert team – how's that going by the way?"

She shrugs. "Started off a bit disappointing but it got better. Hopefully the next time it will be a sanctioned mission from Batman. Anyways," she says continuing on to the previous topic, "I thought I could convince him and myself that real names weren't needed. That wore off completely last night, when I was with Sean, my friend." She emphasizes "friend" letting Ted know that Sean was just that and nothing more – the doubt on his face proved it didn't work. "Sean and I spoke a lot about him before we watched movies and it made me feel guilty, when he came off honest whereas I couldn't even give him my name."

Ted's expression softened. "That's going to have to be part of your life kiddo; its part of every hero's life to be honest. You're going to have to lie sometimes otherwise; more people get hurt if they get too close." Weird...sounds just like what Sean said about heroes earlier.

She swallowed, feeling a bit guilty now. "I used your last name instead and even then he took that lie, for now. The only excuse I have otherwise is that I've been homeschooled all my life – I'm told that's when you do school at home and travel – and that my legal guardians tend to travel a lot."

Ted listened with a thoughtful look on his face, not even seeming angry or upset about her use of his last name. "So you want me to pose as your legal guardian to make your civilian life easier?" Ephyra nods hopefully and he tilts his head. "Won't you still feel guilty though? I mean when you go on missions or have to leave school in a hurry; won't this Sean-kid think something's up?"

"Making up excuses for that will be easier to come up with, whereas with no name or identity I'm kind of stuck with lame excuses until I'm figured out."

He made a face, "Well, I don't know about excuses becoming easier, but okay." He set his water bottle down. "I know your reasons for why you want an alias, or secret identity, but not why you want me to serve as your guardian," he says. "Asides from how I'm protective of you already and hate any boy whose referred to as a friend," he adds dryly.