19: Sorry

After school, Mabel walked to the auditorium for play practice. But just as she walked in the door, sure enough she saw Pacifica flirting with Bill again.

Just before Mabel was going to get in Pacifica's face, she decided to listen.

"I know you like me." Pacifica said.

"I'm with Mabel, Pacifica." Bill sighed.

"You can just dump her." Pacifica laughed. "You and I are the most popular teenagers in school. We're meant for each other."

"Pacifica." Bill said but was cut off as Pacifica leaned in and kissed him.

Mabel gasped and covered her mouth. She got up and ran off before she could see any more.
~
Mabel bawled on her bed, ignoring the numerous texts and missed calls from Bill. He was probably wondering where she was for practice.

Dipper came in the room. "Mabel, you missed practice!" Then he realized she was crying. "Mabel, what happened!?"

Mabel cried. "Pacifica kissed Bill!"

"What!?" Dipper's eyes widened.

"They were talking about people shipping them and I don't know if Bill likes Pacifica now!" Mabel bawled.

"Hey hey calm down." Dipper sat by her. "We need to talk to Bill about this."

"No." Mabel shook her head. "I'm done. It was a stupid idea from the start."

"What are you saying?" Dipper asked.

Mabel looked at him with watery eyes. "I'm breaking up with Bill."
~
Later that night, Mabel texted Bill.

Mabel: meet me in the forest now

Soon enough, Bill responded.

Bill: ok. everything alright?

Mabel didn't respond.

Mabel threw her jacket on and walked into the forest. She saw Bill and he rushed to her.

"Mabel." He looked worried. "You didn't answer my calls, my texts, you weren't at practice. What's wrong?"

"I saw the kiss, Bill." Mabel looked straight into his eyes.

Bill froze. "Mabel--"

"No, Bill." Mabel shook her head. "It was all a dumb idea from the beginning."

"What are you talking about?" Bill frowned.

"You're so popular, and I'm nothing." Mabel laughed. "I know you wanna be with Pacifica."

"No I don't!" Bill shook his head. "I wanna be with you!"

"You don't have to lie to me, Bill. It's okay. I've seen you eye Pacifica in Spanish. You and I need to move on, Bill." Mabel frowned.

Bill held Mabel's hand. "Pacifica kissed me and I quickly shoved her out of the way, Mabel. It didn't mean anything! I love you."

Mabel looked. "I think this is the best way. Maybe we can be together again someday. But not right now."

Bill shook his head. "This is just a misunderstanding."

Mabel looked up at him. "Bye, Bill."

Mabel released her hand and ran off. Bill watched her run away from him and then looked down and noticed something glittering in the dirt.

It was the necklace, the chain had been broken.