Chapter One: No One Cares But You

“Anyone who does not know love does not know God, because God is love.”-1 John 4:8

“A Psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows...” –Psalm 23: 1-6

“Never will I leave you never will I forsake you.” – Hebrew 13:5

              Arabella groggy got up from the hard cold ground; her head was sore but she didn't care, it didn't hurt that much. Not, as much as not being loved or being hit and injured, with no one to look out for her.

              Her friends had left her their; there in the cold to fend for herself, when she was blacked out. Great friend’s right? Yea', she thought rely to herself; trying to walk, only to lose her balance. But luckily there was a wall close by that she was able to hold herself up against. As Arabella slowly made her way back to her house with her dad and older brother Steven, who had the same problem as her: doing drugs and drinking, but he too hit her, along with her dad. And although he said he was sorry once he was sober, she didn't believe him. Steven was just another version of her dad. Not as bad as him but close enough. He abused her way to many times; but when he was sober he was really a pretty nice guy, nicer than most that is.

            She was happy it was Friday, only because she wouldn't have to deal with her teachers. But that thought didn't stick as she remembered this was drinking night; unlike most nights this was the worst. Not just if she did something as small as in not getting her dad some more beer.

            No, this was out of nowhere, and hard. He beat her more than he would normally. And it being Friday didn't help her case one bit. It was party night, so when her brother got home she was in for it.

            She thought about running away before, or even hiding, only to get a brutal beating- after she tired. There was no escape, nothing that could save her from this horrid life style. This is about the only reason why she started to drink and do drugs in the first place. She wasn't proud of it, even if she acted like it, she wasn't. Not even close, she hated it, but it toke her pain and suffering away.

            It was a life saver. And I'm not talking about the candy. I'm talking about, that it made life easier to live in- less painful. What did she have to live for anyways? So what if it would kill her? No one would care. No one cared for her, she had nobody; no one loved her.

When Arabella reached the front of her house she stopped for a moment to listen, listening for anything that could harm her. Like her father and brother.

            She wasn't sure how late it was, all she knew was that it was late enough for the sky to be pitch black, with only the moon and stars as light.

            The lights were dime from what she could make out from the windows, her father was probably in front of the T.V. waiting for her to get home and hand him a beer. To be his slave, was the thing she hated the most.

            She slowly walked to the door and opened it, knowing it wasn't locked; he never locked the door, not until she got home that was. She locked the door behind her knowing he would have wanted her to, and stepped into the living room where he was; her father.

            Her father was a tall man, a man of six foot four, and pure muscle. A man, that scared her with his hard black eyes and bald headed. He wore his normal: t-shirt and jeans. His shirts always showed he had a lot of muscle and that he was fit. Fit enough to beat and impair his daughter.