Chapter 9

Tarquin's attention was removed from the paintings as soon as she made too much noise while sitting down.

Their eyes met and Jza 's gaze shied away immediately. She knew her face gave away everything and letting him access her eyes was akin to letting him step into her mind. She hastily started shuffling papers around. For a desk that had been through a war it was remarkable it was still in exactly the same condition she left it. It was obvious the new owners of the castle had not bothered to even try accessing information via the library. The recent clean down was clearly in anticipation of their Lord's visit.

The Lord's gaze was still upon her but she pretended to ignore his attention. While settling her things in the right places she thought about her new discovery. Tarquin's reasons for his brutal takeover were clear to her now. He obviously had a Barbarian ancestor and to avenge him required this kind of destruction.

Barbarians had scattered after the war. Some had adopted Goridian culture far away from the capital but most had left the country completely. Tarquin's country, Somerluian, must have taken in a fair share of Barbarian refugees. But how was it that a Barbarian was able to marry into their Royal family?

The Somerluians were obsessed with purity of blood. They only took a single wife and only her children were considered their father's heirs so their choices of wives was very narrow and particular. The previous Lord of the Somerluians was not of Barbarian blood. Jza may be ignorant to her country's neighbours but it would have at least been common gossip if the man had Barbarian blood running through his veins. So it must have come from Tarquin's mother; that illusive creature who seemed to be the only person that had caused the man to show true emotion.

"Some rise and some fall. Their blood fades away into nothingness," Lord Tarquin mused as he sat himself on top of the desk, opposite from where Jza sat. Clearly seeing her ancestor's portraits had led him into a philosophical mood.

"But blood lives on forever in ones children," She replied curtly.

"Maybe that is why I intend to capture all of King Samuel's progeny," Jza's heartbeat rose at this statement. The man already possessed the key to his goals. Would this be the day he realized what power was in that locket.

"Surely telling the enemy's spy of your plans is not wise," The girl met his gaze briefly before looking down at her papers.

"Why hide my intentions when I have no chance of failing."

"So, you will kill them then?" Jza asked with a sneer.

"Maybe."

"You can still marry one of them. They could be an asset rather than a burden," She asked quietly still trying in her own way to save her sisters, "Who better than a Princess to be your one and only wife."

"What other virtues do these famous beauties posses that might tempt me? I have only heard of their many attributes in song and I never found the taste to follow flowery poetry," Tarquin asked, jovially, leaning closer all over the desk.

Jza cleared her throat as she leaned away, "They possessed great beauty as you know. They will produce the most beautiful children."

"But surely they had other virtues beyond their looks. I am only an ogre on the inside. I don't fear the chance of producing ugly children," The man smirked while his companion gave his audacity an appalled look.

"The eldest loved horse riding and her hunting skills were impeccable. She along with the others could sing, dance, sew, play musical instruments. They were all accomplished young ladies," Jza continued ignoring how much more closer he was leaning in now.