Chapter 22

"You are being impossible. Why would they help you and even if they do you cannot be certain they shall protect you with success," Tarquin's eyes flashed with simmering annoyance but Jza noticed his stance was faltering. 

"You must have fattened them up for the fight. It would not have been entertaining to have them die with the first blow. Am I not right?" The Princess' voice was barely a hushed whisper but it felt like her voice reverberated in the study. She still held so much fury at his deplorable behaviour. Using her men for sport was a sin she could not forgive. 

Tarquin looked away with a faintly unimpressed expression. His hand was back at the chair and Jza was now certain he was in more pain than he wanted to show. The injuries on his body were stark against his pale skin. While she was no expert she had noticed most of his injuries were shallow enough but the blood loss could not be discounted. She could not fathom how he even stood on his own two feet with the amount of blood adorning his bare torso. 

"Tend to him carefully. He is still losing blood," Jza nodded towards Sofiya and turned her back to the tableau. The girls who had brought clean water and sheets of bandages were now bickering over who would have the chance to caress his chest. She instead faced the wall meant to open up the servant tunnels. There were a series of stones that needed to be pressed she could recall. She taped her fingers lightly trying to get it right. 

"He is no concern of yours," Sofiya replied, tartly. 

"Neither is he yours from what I've heard just now. He's set you free. Why bother him with your attentions now," The brown haired girl replied with her eyes firmly on her goal. With another light press on the stone the tunnel appeared gradually. 

"He was never a tormenter to us but instead a brother. We will always be loyal to him." 

"Brother?" Jza blurted with a incredulous smile. "I may not have any brothers but I should hope ones conduct is different from what you've-"

Tarquin abruptly slammed down on his knees making his audience cry out. He blinked multiple times as if losing his vision. The vacant expression on his face was one Jza had never seen on him making her reach his side before anyone else. 

"There, I warned you. Do not waste his time soothing your ego. It will not do to be so preoccupied with yourself once you're free. The world ourside your harem requires hard work," The Princess scolded the girls scattered around her. 

"What do you suggest we do then? You pretty, pampered, princess are hardly one to talk. After this war ends you will be back to reclining on cushions," The blonde was unhappy with the way Jza held the man from behind; allowing him to rest his uninjured back on her. 

Jza eyes widened imperceptibly but the mocking tone was just bitter enough to assure it was just a jest with no real meaning. The word Princess was used as an insult. 

"I'll go back to my uncle's farm. I shall milk the cows and wring chicken necks. That shall suit me very well," The girl kept her tone light and unconcerned. 

"Charming," Tarquin drawled and Jza felt every tremble running through his body. Her hands slipped over the fresher blood covering him as she readjusted his position. He suddenly rested his head on her shoulder and his brown hair tickled her cheek. 

"And what will you do next? You don't fool me with this talk of abandoning the castle. You just want to hide your true plans," She asked, ignoring how close he was that she could sense the freezing clamminess of his body through her clothes.