Chapter 24

They lost their way before they even began. Jza was confounded by the similar looking twists and turns while Tarquin seemed to be in an unhelpful, contemplative mood. He neither added to her monologue cursing the confusing paths nor gave any indication he was aware of their surroundings. He slowly strolled behind her letting her be the judge of the terrain.

"We are still following the wrong direction! This is too close to the explosions. If we were under the gardens the sound would have decreased by now," The Princess grumbled, swaying the infirmary bag whose straps were rounded around her. She turned around with a dramatic flare of her skirts and found her captive leaning heavily against the wall, breath shallow and sweat dotting his blood smeared face. With a pitying look she offered her shoulder for support which he took without hesitation. 

There was another defeaning boom and the girl could have sworn she heard a scream. The thought of the human destruction happening above ground gave her stomach an unpleasant lurch. It reminded her of the time the castle had been under attack.

"You would slaughter all their children too? They're innocent in their parents' schemes," The brown haired girl asked her silent conpanion who was steadily breathing in her ear. The weight around her neck was heavy but not unbearably so. The thought of letting the man drape himself over her half naked should have bothered her but he was injured and compassion overrode her sense of modesty. Besides, the amount of bandages she had wrapped around him meant she could barely feel the heat of his muscled flesh. Barely. 

"You're predictable," Tarquin sneered, almost inaudibly. The exhale of breath lightly glided against her pink cheeks.

"If I was, you would have known I would break into your study," She breathed through her nose while she spoke.

"Hardly a surprise. I knew you would do something drastic when I accosted you at the ball-"

"I'd rather not discuss your drunken foibles," Jza remarked stiffly, "Now listen to me. This is my domain, my people. Let me judge the situation. Do not start running your mouth and jeopardise our escape." 

"Why do you think your level of generosity would be exhibited by your people? Not everyone would heal their captor's ailments with a steady hand," Tarquin's bitter tones were oddly complimentary. Jza felt the tips of her ears heat up but dismissed the feeling of elation and squashed it beneath her metaphorical feet.

"Do not attribute virtues onto me I do not desire onr deserve. If you die than so do I. Maybe I am more self absorbed than you think."

He scoffed in disagreement, his movement jostling both of them. 

In their inattention they never realised they were right at the end of the tunnel. It seemed like there was no exit but a dusty stone wall blocking them but the Princess knew a deft hand was that was required to open the tunnel exit. 

"Remember my instructions and keep a low profile. I will handle the situation. I hope the bandage on your face hides your identity well," Jza gingerly unloaded her burden, who took the manhandling meekly, and began to work her magic on the stones. 

"Why, yes, my lady. I am your prisoner after all. I follow your every command," The man replied, sotto voce.

The tunnel opened into a low ceiling, dimly lit room. There were full sized, caged prisons lining the room. Inside the cages were multiple men gathered at the ends talking to one another. Jza was grateful they were awake although it would have been shocking if they could sleep through the explosions. She could hear another one reverberating from behind them although it was fainter now.