Decisions.

"It's wonderful to meet you after such a long time son" Michael exclaimed hugging Richard.

"Same here,I felt so left out without all of you" Richard said looking around the table,to the right sat his brothers and their wives,his mother was sitting at the head of the table,his nieces were in high spirits and were running around ,as their joyful laughter echoed through the room.And next to him sat Elizabeth with a beautiful smile on her face.She had worn a grey satin dress which complemented her pale complexion,her grey eyes sparkled in the dim yellow lighting of the room.

Richard and his family members were gathered at Michael's home in Calcutta.Family gatherings were a rare occurrence in Richard's family as Richard and his brothers were always engaged with their official assignments,often having to travel around the world for it.Nonetheless,such gatherings were always a source of great joy for the Greenes.This time however,sadness loomed over them,as this was their first gathering since Mr. Greene's death.

"Well one does feel incomplete without family" Mrs Greene said ,her voice coated with just a tinge of sadness.Recovering from Mr. Greene's death had been extremely hard for her and had taken a toll on her physical and mental health.

"C'mon Mary,this is such a happy occasion,don't look so upset" Michael complained patting her on the back.

"I'm so sorry,you are right ,this is a happy occasion and there is no point in dwelling on the past."

Mary said in a small voice.She thought about something for a mere second before pulling herself up,a wide smile on her face.

"To making new and exciting memories" Mary chirped ,raising her glass.

"Cheers" Others followed.

"Dear,can you excuse us for a moment?" Michael said turning to his wife.

"Of course carry on"

Michael got up and walked towards the living room of the mansion,with Richard following suit.Michael led Richard to the giant bar on the other side of the room.Richard felt tensed.Michael only usually summoned him alone to the bar ,when he had something important to discuss.

"Could this be about Seetha?

Richard thought,but concealed his inner  dilemma and maintained a neutral expression.

Michael continued to remain silent and reached for two crystal glasses and placed them on the bar with a thud.

"So how is it going?"Michael asked matter-of-factly,his eyes glued to Richard.

"It's going very well,I've learnt quite a lot of things from the guide girl"Richard decided it would be best if he initiated a conversation about Seetha,to avoid any suspicions.

"Anything related to the murders?"Michael asked his tense jaw now relaxed.

"Not yet, I have something planned,but I will need your help"

Richard said filling the glasses with Michael's favourite drink.Michael took a little sip of it and hummed in satisfaction before resuming the conversation.

"if it's what you mentioned on the phone,I don't think I can.."

"Michael there is something big going on,maybe gaining the villagers' trust can lead us to the root of it all."

Richard nervously tapped his fingers on the bar.he had spend the past week thinking about what Seetha had told him at the hill top.Richard knew she was correct but he did not know how,at least then he did not.After countless sleepless nights of pondering over the issue,he finally found his solution.Now all he had to do was get Michael to agree to it.It was a big decision and he would need approval from all the highest authorities to implement it.Michael had completely rejected the idea when he told it to him over phone a few days back,however he was optimistic that Michael would change his decision if he explains it to him on person.

"How can you be so sure?"

Michael questioned,his lips slightly crooked in irritation.Small but prominent wrinkles were scattered around his face.Michael was a very handsome man in his youth,though traces of it could still be seen in his middle age,countless hours of gruelling work had exhausted him physically and mentally.Michael was seriously considering retiring after his daughter's wedding which was to happen soon.

"Call it an instinct,but I need you on board to take this investigation any further"

Richard leaned down on the counter.His eyes appeared tired from the long journey he had just endured.Richard had never been fond of train journeys,he hated having to spend countless hours stuck in a narrow cabinet while constantly being jerked to the point of feeling sick.But being a part of the army had helped him adjust to it,though he still disliked very much.

"It is not going to be an easy task" Michael said hesitantly

"You are the only one who can help me"Richard persisted.

He knew he was asking too much,but given their relation ,Richard knew Michael wouldn't refuse.

Michael nodded.

"So Elizabeth says you have been ignoring her and your mother too"

"Why would she think so?I've just been busy with other things"Richard replied,suddenly feeling nervous.

"Other things?" Michael asked pouring himself more whiskey from the bar.

"Yes related to the investigation,clearly"

Richard said forcing a smile.

"I heard that you were spending a lot of time with the guide girl"

Richard's heart beats quickened.He could feel his palms suddenly turn sweaty.

"She is the only one who trusts me in the entire village,others disappear at the mere sight of me"

Richard quickly came up with an explanation.

"Be careful Richard,and don't forget what you are there for"

Michael warned before walking back towards the dining hall.

"I won't" Richard whispered.For the first time in his life he felt unsure of himself.