Recipies!

Recipe of the Month (August) by @YoungWildandFree96

Callaloo Soup

Callaloo (sometimes Calaloo) is a Caribbean dish which is extremely popular and originally from Trinidad and Tobago served in St. Vincent, Guyana, Jamaica with variants in Barbados, Guadeloupe, Grenada, Haiti, Dominica and the Virgin Islands. It is delicious and extremely nourishing dish.

Callaloo Soup Recipe Ingredients:

2 lbs. callaloo leaves

2 teaspoons salt

1 dozen okra

1 ham bone or pickled pig tail

2 tablespoons butter

6 cups water

2 cloves garlic, crushed

2 small crabs

1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

¼ teaspoon pepper

Instructions:

Boil ham bone covered with water for about half an hour, or if pig tail is used, cook it until it is soft. In the meantime, chop spinach, okra and onion and set aside. If you are using dasheen leaves, remove skin from stalks before chopping. Then prepare crabs (live), clean and wash thoroughly discarding backs and break into fairly large pieces.

Then in separate skillet melt butter, then add thyme, onions and garlic and saute for a minute. Then add crabs and sauté for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. When ham bone or pig tail is ready, add enough water to make 6 cups. Then add spinach and okra and cook over medium heat until tender. Then swizzle mixture or pulverize, so that a smooth thick liquid results. Then combine spinach mixture with crabs and simmer slowly for about 20 minutes.

Add pepper and salt as required. Dumplings and Tanias may be added at simmering stage.

______________________________________________________________

                       Recipe of the Month (August) by @BeUnlimited

Nigerian Jollof Rice:

Jollof rice, like Fried Rice is one of those dishes in the hall of fame. It is a popular party favourite in Nigeria and most West African countries.

Ingredients:

Fresh Plum Tomatoes

Peppers

Tinned Tomato Paste

1 Diced Onion

Vegetable Oil

Long Grain White Rice (Drained)

Pepper

Salt

Maggi/ Knorr Cubes

Thyme

Method:

1 Blend the plum tomatoes, peppers and onion together.

2 Pour the blend into a pot and add vegetable oil.

3 Cook at a low heat until the oil has separated from the plum blend.

4  Add the thyme, salt, pepper and maggi cubes.

5 When you are sure the cubes are fully dissolved pour in the rice. The rice is drained so there is no starch in it.

6 Cover the pot and leave it to cook on medium heat so the rice doesn't burn.

7 Don't mix the rice while it is cooking as that can lead to the rice burning.

8 When the water is dried and the rice is soft it is cooked!

And that's how to cook Nigerian Jollof Rice!